• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anchoring down an aviary

Callu

New Kit
Hi,

With patio laid and aviary panels delivered and painted, we'll hopefully be putting together the bunnies new run this weekend :) Presumably with an aviary-type run with a uPVC roof there's a risk of the whole thing taking off in very high winds? Once built, access to the back and sides of the run may be tricky - the back and one side will be against a low wall (we can get to that side from the top of the wall, but not the back), and the other side will have maybe a 1ft gap to a high fence. Does anyone have any suggestions for anchoring the thing down?

We screwed our first aviary down to the concrete (using metal corner bracket thingys available from all DIY shops). We didn't bother screwing the second aviary down, and it has never shown signs of moving in high winds. I think if the aviary is open both sides, the wind just blows straight through rather than lifting it up. Plus they're pretty heavy!

Thanks for the advice.

With the aviary up against 2 walls, when it came to it, the obvious thing to do seemed to be screwing it to the walls. It's almost finished now, still needs a roof putting on, will hopefully get there next weekend!

I should also say thanks to this forum for the idea in the first place! I wouldn't have thought of putting the buns in an aviary, but it really is perfect for the odd space at the bottom of our sloping garden and will make a dry and comfy home :)

Back