• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick Opinion on Weight Please

Janey

Warren Veteran
I have weighed Poppy 3 times in the last few weeks. On 11th Oct she was 2.24kg, on 24th Oct she was 2.29kg but today she has gona back down to 2.23kg.

I was at the vet on Fri where they weighed her, however i cant remember what it was & the vet didnt note it down (i rang to ask), but he said her weight was fine.

I dont like that she's lost weight (although she is moulting), is it a small enough amount to be un-concerned about or should i be worried?

My vet says that that small an amount can easily be accounted for by something as simple as a weewee :mrgreen: so I wouldn't worry. :)

How precise are your scales? It could just be that your scales aren't that precise or Poppy moves a bit when you're weighing her hence the change in weight, I have this problem constantly with Heather and Barty. I need some new scales! :roll:

I agree I wouldn't worry about such a small change in weight. As others have said it could be down to weeing, scale movement or how much she has just eaten. I would only be concerned if weight continues to fall over a period of a week or so :D

Yes I agree, I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. My vet says that a reasonable rule of thumb (although obviously need common sense too!) is to worry if there are 3 consecutive weight drops on weighing, or 5% or more of body weight at any time. Obviously it's only an approximation, but it should give you an idea as to what sort of things might give an indication that there is an underlying problem.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I just weighed her again (after a snack), and she is 2.27. I didntvrealise quite what a small amount it was. Paranoid bunny mummy.

Thanks for your little rule Santa, I will bear that in mind in future panics. I do try not to weight her too much as I can get obssessive, i have obviously failed this month though. She is especially un-happy right now as twice this evening ive but her in the collinder to weigh her on my kitchen scales-not very dignified for a girly bun-he he.

No worries - I wouldn't take the 3 drops in a row too literally if you're weighing several times a day though! Once or max twice a week, maybe ;)

No worries - I wouldn't take the 3 drops in a row too literally if you're weighing several times a day though! Once or max twice a week, maybe ;)

Yes I think your right, weekly should be sufficient unless there is need for concern.

Back