• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-spaying questions

Lottie999

Warren Scout
Evening RU :D It's been a while since I've been here, but I knew just where to turn when I have bun-related issues :D

Bit of a back story first - Poppy has seemingly been passing blood in her urine in early October - vets believed she had an infection so put her on baytril for 3 weeks - this seemed to clear up the problem as the urine sample came back clear for any blood/protein.

However, on Saturday just gone she stared again, so whisked her back to the vet. She reccomended an ultrasound to check her bladder, and also gave me more baytril incase it was a recourrance of an infection. Now, Poppy is a resuce bun from (I know, its bad) a recycling website - I got her off my brother a year ago. He was told by her previous owners that she had been spayed, so I wasn't too worried it was uterine cancer causing the bleed.

However, the ultrasound results weren't good, and it was plain she hadn't been spayed at all. The vet carried out an emergency spay and told me her uterus was full of small tumours and it may have spread to her fatty tissue. The uterus has been sent for biopsy.

So, with all that, and Poppy's age of 6, I am just needing a few post op questions answered:

1. How soon can I handle her again?
2. It's been about 30 hours since her op - I havent seen her drink anything, although she is weeing. Her poops are small, dark and a little wet
3. Can you suggest anything to give her to encourage to drink? I've already tried apple juice in her water but she wont touch it - currently cooling some peppermint tea.

Thanks in advance for the advice boys and girls :wave:

Hi,
I got my rabbit spayed a 3 weeks ago, luckily she was eating straight away, and recovered quickly.

1.) really you can handle her whenever, just be careful not to touch her wound/scar to much as it may hurt her a bit, if she is in a cage or hutch leave the door open and let her climb onto you and then pick her up off yourself gently. Its also best to check that she hasn't pulled the stitches, please keep an eye on her.
2.) If you use a water bottle, you could try a bowl? in pet stores 'pets @ home' they sell special juice which you mix with their water. also you should be able to get recovery feed from the vets which you also add with water.
3.) If you have pet store's near you try buying some special carrot juice, or try a water bowl.

Is she eating? If she is and usually has veg or herbs, soak them in water, it will help. Also I`m not sure on the picking up thing, it stresses buns out for the best of times and I reckon she will still be fragile and a little dis orientated by the op, but good advice about checking the wounds.

Hi,
I got my rabbit spayed a 3 weeks ago, luckily she was eating straight away, and recovered quickly.

1.) really you can handle her whenever, just be careful not to touch her wound/scar to much as it may hurt her a bit, if she is in a cage or hutch leave the door open and let her climb onto you and then pick her up off yourself gently. Its also best to check that she hasn't pulled the stitches, please keep an eye on her.
2.) If you use a water bottle, you could try a bowl? in pet stores 'pets @ home' they sell special juice which you mix with their water. also you should be able to get recovery feed from the vets which you also add with water.
3.) If you have pet store's near you try buying some special carrot juice, or try a water bowl.

Hi jackaroonie, Poppy does have water from a bowl, and luckily she's just started to take a few sips of cooled peppermint tea :)

Is she eating? If she is and usually has veg or herbs, soak them in water, it will help. Also I`m not sure on the picking up thing, it stresses buns out for the best of times and I reckon she will still be fragile and a little dis orientated by the op, but good advice about checking the wounds.

Yea she's been eating more gradually since I brought her home yesterday and have already been feeding her herbs and veg wet - she seems to have perked up quite a bit over the past couple of hours, she's currently munching some hay; just had a look at her wound and its fine, a tiny bit of oozing but the vet said that was to be expected

my matilda took a good 3 or 4 days to start eating properly! I was panicing like crazy but she was fine x

This may sound like a stupid question, but have you tried putting the bowl or a bottle right next to her. My boy drinks more when I put the bowl right in front of him, but I think that is him due to being `king of the castle` :lol:

This may sound like a stupid question, but have you tried putting the bowl or a bottle right next to her. My boy drinks more when I put the bowl right in front of him, but I think that is him due to being `king of the castle` :lol:

Heh aww how cute :p
I've stuck it right under her nose, she just sniffs it and hops away. Might try her with just plain water

Heh aww how cute :p
I've stuck it right under her nose, she just sniffs it and hops away. Might try her with just plain water

I`m sure she will start drinking more soon, if not obvs the vets will help and I know people on
this forum have said you can syringe water if you get desperate.

I`m sure she will start drinking more soon, if not obvs the vets will help and I know people on
this forum have said you can syringe water if you get desperate.

Funny you should mention that, she takes it willingly if I give it to her in a syringe! What a picky bun :p

Back