• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Julie choked again last night.

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
She choked on hay a while back. She choked a few times before we figured out she was just stuffing her mouth full of hay inhaling it. I switched hay to a thicker long strand hay so she can't do that. Last night she gobbled her pellets and choked. Thankful she ran over to me choking. I picked her up and with her nose to the floor. She normally hates being picked up and struggles. The really scary part is that her body was limp. All the mucus poured out of her nose and mouth when I did that and she started breathing normally. Before I did that the mucus was bubbling out and back in and she was struggling to breath. She hopped right back to the pellets and tried to gobble. I am so afraid that she will do it again when no one is around and aspirate it into her lungs. I am spreading the pellets all over her rug now so she can only pick up one or 2 at a time. I am just wondering what will she choke on next. She eats way too fast. The vet checked her teeth and can find no medical problem to cause her to choke other than eating too much at once and too fast.

She choked on hay a while back. She choked a few times before we figured out she was just stuffing her mouth full of hay inhaling it. I switched hay to a thicker long strand hay so she can't do that. Last night she gobbled her pellets and choked. Thankful she ran over to me choking. I picked her up and with her nose to the floor. She normally hates being picked up and struggles. The really scary part is that her body was limp. All the mucus poured out of her nose and mouth when I did that and she started breathing normally. Before I did that the mucus was bubbling out and back in and she was struggling to breath. She hopped right back to the pellets and tried to gobble. I am so afraid that she will do it again when no one is around and aspirate it into her lungs. I am spreading the pellets all over her rug now so she can only pick up one or 2 at a time. I am just wondering what will she choke on next. She eats way too fast. The vet checked her teeth and can find no medical problem to cause her to choke other than eating too much at once and too fast.

How scary for you. Our Valerie now chokes on pellets, her teeth are ok in themselves but its her tooth roots that are the problem. She can't chew them properly so tries to swallow them whole. We are giving her pellets soaked in water now to prevent the problem

How scary for you. Our Valerie now chokes on pellets, her teeth are ok in themselves but its her tooth roots that are the problem. She can't chew them properly so tries to swallow them whole. We are giving her pellets soaked in water now to prevent the problem

Poor Valerie and you. It is very scary for the choking rabbit. Julie is petrified. She appears to be chewing her food but she has her mouth filled with as much food that can fit in there. I wonder it soaking her pellets would help her too or if it might be worse with it mushy.

How very scary for you :cry: Poor Julie. I think Liz's suggestion is an excellent one. It's difficult when you have a particularly greedy bunny as well. Nino used to be like that with food, but luckily never choked. Poppy choked once though on a leaf she was carrying in her mouth when running around. It is important after choking incidents to have your vet listen to the chest and often prophylactic antibiotics are needed to prevent an aspiration pneumonia. I hope she will be ok x

Poor Valerie and you. It is very scary for the choking rabbit. Julie is petrified. She appears to be chewing her food but she has her mouth filled with as much food that can fit in there. I wonder it soaking her pellets would help her too or if it might be worse with it mushy.

It is hard to tell if they are chewing properly. Valerie looks like she is chewing but in reality she can;t put any pressure on the food due to pain :?

If it is just greediness have you tried a treat ball?

How scary for you both. There was another choking thread earlier this week (Chelle's Archie). It is always a worry at the back of my mind as Spnser is a very greedy boy with his pellets and veg. :roll:

It is hard to tell if they are chewing properly. Valerie looks like she is chewing but in reality she can;t put any pressure on the food due to pain :?

If it is just greediness have you tried a treat ball?

The vet seems to think it is just greediness as she tries to gobble all of them at once. She has several treat balls and a kong. I have not tried the pellets in the balls though as they are very small not sure it they will work in the balls that she has but I will try one of her smaller opening balls tonight.

Back