• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits swim?

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Not that I intend on finding out, but just out of curiosity, does anyone know if rabbits can actually swim? Cats can although they don't like water, but if say one of our rabbits escaped into next door and fell into their pond, would they drown? I'm thinking they would, but thought I'd ask a bizarre question to get your opinions, RU people!

Yes they can but they'll only do so willingly if in danger.

Rat sveem, dog sveem... you no sveem?

They can, but I've read more than once about rabbits drowning. I expect it's because although they *can* swim, the stress may cause them to panic.

yes they can - though I have only seen one of ours take to water - however I suspect some breeds (giants, nethies etc) would be the wrong shape to make a success of it. They have to have the nose above water and decent leg size to body mass ratio.

They can, but I've read more than once about rabbits drowning. I expect it's because although they *can* swim, the stress may cause them to panic.

They can swim, but just like humans, they get tired eventually and drown.

They can swim, but just like humans, they get tired eventually and drown.
Good point. I know that some won't swim though, there are numerous videos where the rabbits are just frozen with panic and I'm sure that can lead to some of them drowning.:(

I'll be moving onto a narrowboat soon (hopefully anyway) and taking Harvey rabbit and Molly cat with me. I'm hoping they can both swim, although I'll pet proof as much as I can to avoid accidents and will have a landing net handy in case of emergencies.

I'll be moving onto a narrowboat soon (hopefully anyway) and taking Harvey rabbit and Molly cat with me. I'm hoping they can both swim, although I'll pet proof as much as I can to avoid accidents and will have a landing net handy in case of emergencies.

I think you can get little pet life jackets :wave:

Back