• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does neutering have a high mortality rate?

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
I've just contacted a small local rescue to see if she had any neutered males as a companion for one of my females and the answer I got is that she dosnt neuter them because theres a 70% risk of them dying under anesthetic. Is this true?

No.

Neutering of males is fairly routine and i'd be very concerned about the vet she uses.

Obviously, with any GA operating there is a risk, but it certainly is NOT 70%!

Imagine, if it was, 7 out of every 10 males who were neutered, would die. That simply is not the case.

You could try contacting honeybunnys for example, they nationally rehome and have males available i believe. PM Jill (honeybunny on RU) or email her (her address is in her signature), or one of the other nationally rehoming rescues :wave:

In a word 'No'.

and it is extremely worrying that there is a rescue of any nature who give out such faulty information.

Rabbits USED to be though as a poor anaesthetic risk but improved understanding and procedures over the last decades mean that this is no longer the case.

ALL the big rescues (Blue Cross, Wood Green, RSPCA and the smaller private rescues routinely castrate/spay hundreds and thousands of rabbits every year.

Please try another rescue (and if you can get back to this one and tell them to update their information and knowledge)

PS I am presuming that she also does not neuter her females in that case? In which case she may wish to know another statistic - 80% of unneutered female rabbits die from uterine cancer. Neutering of females is essential

In a word 'No'.

and it is extremely worrying that there is a rescue of any nature who give out such faulty information.

Rabbits USED to be though as a poor anaesthetic risk but improved understanding and procedures over the last decades mean that this is no longer the case.

ALL the big rescues (Blue Cross, Wood Green, RSPCA and the smaller private rescues routinely castrate/spay hundreds and thousands of rabbits every year.

Please try another rescue (and if you can get back to this one and tell them to update their information and knowledge)

PS I am presuming that she also does not neuter her females in that case? In which case she may wish to know another statistic - 80% of unneutered female rabbits die from uterine cancer. Neutering of females is essential

Talk about putting things so much better than i did parsnipbun :lol: :thumb:

Thank you all. I thought that percentage was a bit high!! I dont know wether to contact her again but if shes putting across incorrect information when trying to rehome the rabbits then thats not good!!
I have rung my local RSPCA but a couple of the rabbits are ill so they have put a stop on rehoming until they find out whats wrong with them which is fair enough. We will just have to wait.
Is Jill Honeybunny in the southwest?

We have never had a rabbit die from neutering.

The answer to the question would be definately not.

Extra Note- we have 10 bunnies a month routinely go under anesthetic for dentals and dont' have a problem either.

Last edited:
I've had 3 male rabbits neutered and 3 females neutered, and none of them have died. My first rabbit I had neutered was about 15 years ago, and he was fine then. Maybe 20+ years ago it may have been that high, but certainly not now, if done by a vet that knows what they are doing.

I was quoted, by a vet, a figure of approx. 1 in 80 mortality for rabbit neuters. Although at the rescue I volunteer at I'm pretty sure we've had more neuters done than that, with fewer mortalities. I've been there three years now and can only think of one bun who didn't make it, which was due to complications afterwards, not the anaesthetic itself.

I would try another rescue ;)

I have had 14 buns neutered, 7 males and 7 females and none of them have even had a small problem under anaesthetic.
I work at a vets and it is extremely rare that one does. I have been working there for a year now (including my work experience) and not seen one die yet. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I think the likelyhood of it happening is quite low and even lower if you have a good vet and nurse doing the op.

So no, it does not have a high mortality rate in healthy rabbits and I would never not get one neutered unless for health reasons (such as heart/respiratory problems for example where anaesthetic is a much higher risk).

You'll probably think I'm nutty but I did send her an email stating this info and she wrote back saying that the rabbits she takes in are usually in poor health or are too old. Then she said that the females are all ex breeding rabbits and they dont get uterine cancer. Now I know this isnt true!! I think I am fighting a losing battle. I did tell her about this website. Hopefully she'll have a look. I do admire her for what she is trying to do but I think I'll wait for the RSPCA.

I think fair enough if they are too poorly or old, but the part about ex breeding does is rubbish I think, I have never heard that as a cure to uterine cancer. I could be wrong though...
I think it is a good idea to wait for the RSPCA or maybe have a look on the rabbit rehome website to see if anyone in your area is trying to rehome their buns, otherwise you could try contacting someone from one of the rescues on here, I *think* honey bunnys rescue will rehome nationwide :)

Good luck in your bun search and don't forget to post piccies as soon as you have some :D

Back