• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can people who have bred or looked after pregnant rabbits please help me?

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
The rescue I foster for have asked me if I would be prepared to take on a pregnant doe. :shock: She is in overcrowded and unsuitable accommodation. I have no experience of this and would fully appreciate anyone's help and advice. it's not yet definite but questions so far,
t
What is the ideal set up for her? I have a 6x2x2 traditional hutch outside, a 7x2x2 chicken coop style one with a massive 3x2x2 sleeping area upstairs. If she is indoors I have a cage I can use as a base and she can have the run of the kitchen.

Should I build her an open topped box for her to use for kindling? I wouldn't want a roof because I couldn't keep half an eye on the babies.

Should she have unlimited pellets? Or just a larger ration than I would normally give.

Sorry for the questions, I am very excited but very daunted at the same time.

At this time of year I would keep her indoors - it gets very cold at night for newborn bunnies. I would suggest unlimited pellets and lots of hay. Keep her quiet, away from dogs, cats, noisy kids etc. And don't worry about her. :wave:

At this time of year I would keep her indoors - it gets very cold at night for newborn bunnies. I would suggest unlimited pellets and lots of hay. Keep her quiet, away from dogs, cats, noisy kids etc. And don't worry about her. :wave:

Thank you. Sounds good, I appreciate your response.

i would keep indoors to plus an open top box is a good idea as a feeding baby latched on if mummy hops off could easily come out of nest and get cold
good luck and your doing a greta job :thumb:

Sorry Ali, I have no experience in this department.

Just wish you lots of luck if you do foster this bunny. I know that she couldn't be in safer hands.:thumb:

Agree with this ...BUT ... dont forget at this time of year once in they will have to stay indoors until spring ..

if this wasnt an option then your one level hutch .. you dont babies falling from an upstairs .

Hi Ali - I can help you with the bit after the birth but I don't have experience of the bit just before! :roll::lol:

I guess being inside would be good if you can find somewhere quiet and the right temperature (not being too warm is important too).

However, if you have a 6ft single level hutch then I'd say so long as it was in a sheltered spot & covered over when raining/windy then this would be ok also. You'd need to make the bedroom area really cosy of course, stuffed full of hay :love: To prevent babies from rolling out of the nest I put a 4 inch high piece of wood across the entrance to the sleeping area. Mum can hop over but babies can't. It also helps keep the hay in & makes it a bit cosier ;) I checked on them every 2-3 hours during the day to make sure they were all where they should be & that mum was ok course. I think you can safely give mum double what she would usually have to eat before and after she's had the kits. Depending on how many she has and of course how many survive this may need to be adjusted.

Don't use bowls with kits as they can drown in them, bottles only :wave:

Last edited:
Good luck if you take her on.

Only experience I have had is a pregnant chinchilla and they are pregnant alot longer than rabbits. Except I never knew she was pregnant until the baby appeared. Then I paniced. Rang a chinnie expert, but basically left mum to it and now Little Nylon is 7. :)

I would guess the 6ft hutch would be best, room for them but without the risk of any babies falling.

Hope she does well :)

Thank you everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. Everyone has to have a first time I suppose and while I am excited I want to have researched everything first.

Oh Ali, lucky you! :love:

I have no advice im afraid :oops:

If they do come you'll need to come and visit! Have you been to see Rosie and Sky yet?

Back