• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best litter?

I'm using megazorb at the moment (with a layer of newspaper ontop and then hay on top of that) but I change the litter tray everyday and would do no matter what I used in it so I'm not sure wether it would be ok left longer :)

Probably megazorb or the cat litter pellets (the non-clumping ones). I use just newspaper as I've had issues with Smudge and stasis and it seems to have completely gone since I stopped using megazorb so I suspect he was eating it.

I use aubiose. I tried megazorb, but Poppy started eating it. Aubiose draws the moisture away from the surface so keeps the top dry. I always put loads of hay on the top for munching, so i still change the litter daily now that they have a smaller litter tray instead of the base of an indoor cage as their litter tray.

I use newspaper in the bottom of the trays then a layer of megazorb (built up at back and corners) and loads of hay topped up, there is always hay over the top. I totally change it twice a week Weds and Sat or Sunday.(more in really hot weather) it doesn't really smell.

Hi, I've tried loads of different things in Rolos litter tray. And best way for me (and him) is I put a whole newspaper in the bottom of the tray, put about an inch of litter, I use P@H wood-based cat litter. Then a few handful of hay. No smell at all and I only change his litter tray twice a week. I just put fresh hay in everyday between cleans. And cos the tray is lined with paper, it just all come out in a bag and a quick swish with water and disinfectant and its done. No scraping stuck litter out.

Rach x

I've tried almost every type of litter over the years and I have to say that, in my experience, Megazorb is THE most absorbent, closely followed by Aubiose (both horse bedding material). Unless you plan on changing litter trays daily, newspaper and hay is not absorbent enough and stinks quite quickly. It makes a very good litter but there's only so much liquid a few sheets of paper can absorb! I change litter trays every 2 days.

I use megazorb.

I find an inch of Smartbedz is more absorbant than an inch of megazorb, however smartbedz is heavier so the packets are much smaller, and the price is much higher! Plus the buns started to eat it. With smartbedz I left it for 5 days without it smelling or all the litter being used up. With megazorb I change the litter every 2-3 days.

I tried newspaper and hay and it wasnt absorbant enough for my bun as he wees loads. Carefresh wasnt as absorbant as megazorb and was way more expensive. Wood pellet litter smelt more than megazorb, but you needed less of it. Shavings I wouldnt use because of the health issues, but have used them in the past and they stunk to high heaven.

Make sure you put a hay on top of the litter, as this really helps keeps the smell down.

Actually, it was carefresh that Poppy started eating even though it is good at absorbing and didn't smell but expensive (£5 for a small bag)!! I stopped using megazorb as I didn't like the smell of the megazorb itself, which is why I have gone back to aubiose which is really cheap at £10-11 for a huge bag (20Kg or 2.5ft x 1ft x 16 inches)

I used to use the rabbit safe wood pellet litter I got it from Asda but I got a bag of megazorb on Monday and will be sticking with this it's much more economical and luckily he doesn't eat it. Dillon wees a lot too so I'd have to change his tray too frequently otherwise I would just use newspapers and hay I think. :wave:

Thank you everyone for your responses! I can see the general consensus is the Megazorb is the way to go! I will try it. Where do you buy it? Does Pets at Home carry it? I live in the US now but whenever I go back to London I always go to Pets at Home to pick up the bunnies favorite things as they are way cheaper there! If not can I buy it online?

Thank you everyone for your responses! I can see the general consensus is the Megazorb is the way to go! I will try it. Where do you buy it? Does Pets at Home carry it? I live in the US now but whenever I go back to London I always go to Pets at Home to pick up the bunnies favorite things as they are way cheaper there! If not can I buy it online?

ah. I have a feeling megazorb is not available in the US. No P@H dont stock it, it is actually horse bedding, so people here get it at farmshops and online. Its a big sack though so even if you did get hold of it over here I doubt you could take it back with you.

Maybe William will come back and tell you what you can get hold of over there, or you could PM.

I use newspaper and hay for Donny and Lola and Poppy has the wood based cat litter and hay :) Leo has newspaper and hay :)

Ok well has anyone used carefresh? That is sold right in our local pet store. If so, which one? There are so many different kinds of carefresh litter/bedding! I wouldn't know where to start! As you can tell, I've never used anything other than woodshavings before! haha :lol:

Some people do use carefresh but it is quite expensive here I think. If you do a search you should be able to find some threads talking about it! I've only ever seen two types here which are the ones pets at home sell but I've never used it.

We don't have Megazorb but maybe some of the paper based beddings are similar? Like Yesterday's News, I've never tried it but it's a popular paper based bedding. Carefresh is good but not as inexpensive as some bedding is.

Aspen shavings are the best, it's super cheap over here and perfectly safe, unlike pine and cedar shavings. One store near me had a huge bag of aspen that must weigh 30 lbs for $5. Chain pet shops like Petco it will be more expensive, but mom and pop pet shops or feed stores, tractor supply stores, etc will have them cheap.

There's also http://www.swheatscoop.com/ i don't know if people use it for buns, but I know ferret owners use it in the litterpan. It's about 30 lbs for $10. Ferret owners also use woodstove/hardwood pellets (the kind at Lowes, Home Depot, etc) but I thought they were made of pine, so I'm not sure if they're safe or not. Maybe the pine was kiln dried.

Thank you! The closest pet store to me is PetSmart and they seem to have certain types of carefresh relatively cheap. I use aspen shavings now but they don't help the smell at all! I will look into swheatscoop :D

Back