• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

head tilt bonding question

becky963

Warren Scout
Some of you may know about my Mitsu who came down with a head tilt a couple of months ago. We've decided her and her husbun will be house buns now but I also already have 2 house buns. We are struggling a bit with space and thought maybe we could try to bond the 4 together but I'm worried that Mitsu might not cope with her head tilt. What does everyone think?

Last edited:
I think it depends on how she is doing.

I also think that likely you'll end up putting them together and seeing if she can tolerate it.

I did bond Tilly when she was ill with head tilt (before she started her antibiotics) and it wasn't a problem :)

Thank you! She's doing fine, eating and everything and interacting with her husbun. But her head is still tilted and she does still roll. They're ok where they are, it's just that the original indoor buns have a whole room to themselves and I feel it would be nice if all 4 of them had that space

If you have set ups that accommodate both then you won't lose anything by trying :) (but it might be worth reading the sticky in the bonding forum about trios). I would just keep a close eye on her and see how she copes and how they cope with her. Don't push it like you would a normal bond and maybe take it slower if she looks like she is struggling (maybe use the date method), but bunnies with head tilt can be bonded :)

I'm very glad to hear she is doing well, as well.

To be honest I think I would wait until she has stopped rolling.

I say this because when Mimi got ill with head tilt and first started rolling, sometimes she would accidentally kick/roll into her bonded husbun Timmy. They have a very close bond, but it confused him greatly when she rolled and he would sometimes grunt and adopt an aggressive stance, presumably thinking she was attacking him :(

When you bring Mitsu inside it will disorientate her and may cause her rolling to worsen for a while. In addition the stress of bonding, any scuffles etc may throw her off balance aswell, which the other buns in turn may view as an attack.

It is just my opinion, and it may well be fine. But bonding a group is challenging anyway, so just be aware that having a rolling bun in the mix *could* be a recipe for disaster.

Yes I hadn't thought how the other 2 buns might view the rolling. She's been indoors since it happened 2 months ago but I've never once seen Cloud be funny with her when she's rolled. He just carries on as if nothings happened! She mainly rolls at pellet time in the morning and veg time in the evening, although she does do it at other times aswell. I think it's when she's trying to concentrate too hard on one piece of food! I might try dating them for an hour a day in the middle of the day and see how it goes. I suppose I've not lost anything if the other 2 buns get offended by her rolling and I give up!

Back