• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you who have bunnies that insist on sitting out in the run all night .......

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
.......... how are you planning on trying to keep them warm this winter??

My two won't go into the hutch at night but insist on sitting out on the cold paving ........ I put them some new fleecies down to keep their feetsies warm but they just threw them around out of the way and continued to sit on the cold paving.

We have an aviary-style enclosure so they already have a roof and we've put clear tarp down the most exposed side of the run but I don't really know what more we can do. I thought about attaching old blankets to the side of the run also but that would block out a lot of light.

I usually put a snugglesafe in the hutch when it gets really cold hoping it will tempt them in ...... but still they don't go in!

What are you doing?

I'm sure if they were unbearably cold they would go upstairs, mine stay in their bedroom area when it's really cold/windy. Personally I'd just leave them too it, if they want to be warmer they can move, although if you're really worried then cover the run and cover the paving with straw

I'm sure if they were unbearably cold they would go upstairs, mine stay in their bedroom area when it's really cold/windy. Personally I'd just leave them too it, if they want to be warmer they can move, although if you're really worried then cover the run and cover the paving with straw

Thanks for your reply.

Funnily enough the last week or so I've been covering the paving in hay ...... the only downside being them bunnies then think they have the biggest litter tray going! Lol

OH said that he might put some kind of decking down so that they have an area raised off the floor.

I leave mine to it, they loved the snow last year :D

Thanks - I probably should just trust that my two would go inside their hutch if they were too cold/uncomfortable outside..... I mean its not like they don't like their hutch - they spend all day in there ... then sit out at night!!! :roll:

I have been wondering about this too...I currently tuck mine up into their hutch when i go to bed but i would like to leave them access to the hutch 24/7...

I am a fan of keeping the bun indoors personally, just cause I like to keep an eye on them and love their indoor company.

But many buns love the outdoors and I would say as long as they are guarded from predators at night and it's not stupidly cold, they'll be fine! If you get worried in the cold weather you can always shut them in xx

I just leave them to it. They know better than us what makes them uncomfortable or comfortable, and they have the intelligence to go in side if they feel cold. :)

Masses of hay!! As in, enough that they can burrow in and eat their way out...:D Also, if you can, try and keep the run out of the direction of the wind. Like others have said, if they're cold enough, they'll eventually have the sense to go in.;)

I've given up! I've put boxes of hay in their favourite places, snuggle safes, layers of sacking down, but they just move them out of the way.
The nethies do now sit in their hutch (now I've taken the door off!) They're in an enclosure, so it's just like a box really. They have a tray full of hay in there that they sit in. Daisy Boo and Pippin sit on top of their hutch, so I just put lots of straw up there.
I'm sure they'll snuggle in if they need to!

I give up on my 2! I provide them with heat pads, straw, cardboard boxes but still choose to sit outside!

I'd just leave them to it, you have peace of mind that you've provided the right things but its up to them if they want to use it! :lol:

I just leave them to it. They know better than us what makes them uncomfortable or comfortable, and they have the intelligence to go in side if they feel cold. :)

Agree with this, totally. Last year when I get home from work in the early hours they were invariably sitting outside in sub zero temps. But I do have (home made) perspex weather proofing shields which would help with wind/wet protection, so they are dry.
Mine also have the option of an outside (crudely made) subterranean warren of wooden tunnels which they prefer to the shed. (My set up is of run containing warrren attatched to shed).
:)

Alfie and Bubbles live in a kennel and run, but choose to sit out in the run area for approximately 90% of the time. In really windy or wet weather, I cover the run with a clear tarpaulin to keep them dry and out of draughts/wind. I also provide lots of places for them to snuggle up if they choose to (cardboard boxes filled with hay are very cheap) plus a snugglesafe but they still choose to sit in the run. :roll::lol:

I take the view that, as long as they're healthy, they have a thick coat (& each other) to keep them warm & they will also have the sense to move somewhere warmer if they need to.

I am too scared to give mine access to their run 24/7, just in case something got them in the night, so I lock them in their shed at night.

Although I never see mine inside, when I go out in the morning their bed is flattened and hay eaten so I know they go in at some point. I think as long as they have the option there should they want it then just leave them to it.:)

Last night I left Roo in her run for the first time ever (fully pad locked in and 100% safe), her run is covered over with tarps at night to keep it dry and wind proof. When I went out early this morning she was happily running around.

You could provide pet carriers or igloos full of hay or straw for buns to sit in outside. I'd suggest you get insulation and tarps and cover the run area (if possible) to keep it as warm as possible.

I do make sure there are a couple of little hutches stuff with hay & newspaper out in the aviary, in case somebun has had a tiff, but mostly I concentrate on making the playhouse warm. I haven't done anything really yet, but got my sacking ready to go over the mesh as soon as it drops below 3 degrees overnight:D

They have boxes stuffed with hay & towels all year round, & there will be snugglesafes when it drops below freezing

Thanks everyone, as our aviary has a proper roof and the exposed side is covered in clear tarpaulin, they have a double decker hutch (with a fully carpeted bedroom with fleeces in) ......... then I should just leave them to it and stop worrying so much! Oh they also have a couple of hidey holes that are carpeted and I'll stick a load of hay in there.

They seem to have got a grip of sitting on the fleeces outside now rather than just digging them and throwing them around then sitting on the cold paving!

We were going to do a decked area but not sure now as I'm not sure how they'd get on gripping on it .... so am covering the paving in hay at the mo!

Anyone know if its worth putting a snugglesafe outside where they sit, or wouldn't it stay warm for very long outdoors??

We have a ramo and a shelf made of deckboards in our hutch/run combo and they grip it fine (as long as the grioves run across the ramps not along!)

I wouldn't put a snugglesafe straight onto paving slabs as I think it would get cold quite quickly.

Back