• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam

Jonny

Warren Scout
It seems Jess has spondylitis. Vet has recommended long term treatment with Metacam. A 10ml bottle comes in at £12, but I have seen it advertised a quite a few internet sites for substantially less.

The only issue is that they require a prescription. I have always sourced medication directly from the vet, so could someone let me know how this works in practice? Do I have to ask my own vet to issue the prescription and then send it off to the retailer?

Cheers,
Jonny.

yes you do - and the vets charge for this service - mine charges £10 per prescription!!!

Have you asked if you can order meloxivet instead? it comes in quite large bottles and is cheaper . its the same stuff - no idea why its cheaper. My vet will only get it in if I ask for it.

PS prepares for jacks jane to tell me why its cheaper . . . :lol:

I get a prescription from my vet for just over £10, then I scan it and I use Viovet.

the prescription is valid for 4 times so it says on it 'Repeat x 3' this used to confuse me but its the prescription then x 3. Metacam used to work out alot cheaper for me less than half price over the 4 months even with the prescription cost and I also use Viovet for my cats meds and wormers.

I have 4 cats so for the wormers I get a prescription for one cat that I can use 4 times, get for pills then next time they need worming I get a prescription for another of the cats and do the same again.

Viovet can be done online or over the phone, if you order before about 2pm its sent the same day and generally comes the next morning in a padded envelope.

I did have some money off for introducing a friend thingys, I will have a search, seem to think the friend gets £3 off their 1st order.

I usually buy Metacam from the vet. They also have the Meloxicom (or something like that) which is the same ingredient as Metacam.

Metacam is the brand name which is probably why it is more expensive than the generic product which is Meloxicom.

We buy metacam online at £16.99 for a 180ml bottle. A prescription is £8 from the vet but it is only valid for one bottle for us, so we have to get a new prescription each time.

Back