• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

more questions about rescue rabbits sorry

joannem

New Kit
Hi,
A lot if you helped me on my previous post about housing, thank you so much. We now feel we have two options that would work for us and the rabbits.
We can do a large cage with pen attatched if were out and free range time if were in or depending on the rabbit no run and run of the kitchen. Were also happy to rabbit proof our spare room and use that as the base if we have too. Thank you very much for those ideas.

I went back to see the little boy rabbit again last night, he's nine weeks old and there were only two in the litter, him and another boy. The idea I had was to bond an older rescue bun with the baby but him and his brother have grown so close, they follow each other groom each other and snuggle up together. The person who has them was happy for the boys to go seperatley to be paired with girl as boys are least likely to get on together and she did expect them to be having scraps by now and need seperating but they are not.

What is best for these rabbits? Are they bonded and should stay together or is it best to split and bond them with girls?

The person who has the babies isn't a rescue as such she's just a animal lover who heard about a pregnant bun that was going to be taken to the pet shop (someone thought they had two boys) and she didn't want that so took mum on but she's no expert and after talking last night isn't sure what is best for the boys.

The older girl I'm looking at is already spayed and any boy would be neutered ASAP.

What's best for these three rabbits long term?

Sorry another q but could someone also help with the pro/cons of bringing home a 3yr old rabbit compared to a 9week old rabbit. Things like behaviour, bonding with other animals etc,,,,

It's difficult to say really! I have two boys, brothers, who have always been together.
They went to Jill Honeybunnys rescue at 18 months old, and hadn't been neutered, so Salt was yellow (he's white) from having been sprayed by his brother so often. They were neutered when they were with Jill, and are the most loving bunnies you'll meet. They rarely spend any time apart, and really look out for each other.
They're 7 years old now and closer than ever. So, maybe if they're neutered as soon as they can be and kept in adjacent enclosures whilst their hormones die down, they may be fine.

Am not an expert by a long shot, but I got 9 week old rabbits about a month ago. I wanted a rabbit and had been thinking about it for a while, but to get these particular ones was a hasty decision.

Young rabbits are more likely to get ill, they will need their first vaccinations, you will have to deal with their hormonal teenage behaviour at 4-5 months and then get them neutered. If they are ill and can't be neutered at this time, you may have to live with a hormonal bunny for longer. Their personalities don't really settle down until a few weeks after neutering. More work, more expense, more unpredictability and possibly more bites and chewed furniture! They are adorably cute though and it's lovely watching them grow up and develop.

With a 3 year old rabbit coming from a responsible rescue or owner you will have a very good idea of what you are getting.

I love the bunnies I have, but with hindsight I may have been better with an older bun.

The three year old is with a reputable rescue and will be spayed before collection. I did explain my circumstances to the rescue dogs/cats etc and they pointed me towards there most calm and confident bunnies they thought would do best.

Teenage months don't sound fun! The two litter brothers did seem very chilled out and one of them lay on my knee for 45mins getting stroked, guess that could be them lulling me into a false sence of security.

Last edited:
I think that with the 3 year old, you will know exactly what you are getting, how her personality is, her likes, dislikes, etc.

Getting a young bunny is much more of a risk, in terms of personality, will they bond or not (and what will you do if they don't bond), will the brothers stay bonded or divorce and what you'll do if they divorce, health problems, etc.

My advice to a new owner would be to start with the older bunny from the reputable rescue, and then when you have established her, look for a rescue who can help you find a single, neutered boy for your girl and who can help you with the bonding and support you if things go wrong :)

Thank makes sense.
We have had rabbits before and have bonded rabbits before but i think bonding wise we were extreamly lucky. Only one of previous rabbits we had sinse a baby, the other two were 8mths and 18mths when we got them.

Maybe what I'm best doing is waiting for a older, bonded pair.

That could also be a good plan :) If you like the french lop then can you liaise with the rescie about getting a boy bonded with her?

I didn't think I had a preference for breed but I must do as all three of them are French lops.
They just don't have the time or the space to bond them, its one woman looking after all the rabbits (very well though).

She lives next to another rabbit and the lady said they always snuggle up next to each other through the bars but he's being rehomed to someone else tomorrow

I wonder if there might be other rescues that would be an option for you. Whereabouts are you? Roughly

The only one listed for cumbria no longer takes rabbits and out of the lancashire ones there either the rspca (i won't rehome from them) animal care (where ivy is) and the other doesn't rehome to barrow. I'm happy with animal care and don't mind waiting. It's such a shame the rabbit in the pen next to her she lies with isn't still available.

Is there a particular reason you won't rehome from the RSPCA?

Rescues like honeybunny's and Green Leaf will rehome nationally too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bunny who was next door, how they are better the mesh is no indication of whether they might bond or not, just that they feel safe and secure and understand where the terrritory barrier is :)

Just had some bad experiences with them, not responding to creulty complaints and refusing to take animals in need so I tend to stay away from them.

Back