• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies got institutionalised!

Kittycat

Young Bun
I am not kidding, I promise!

After one from each bonded pair had a dental on Monday, I had to keep them all inside for a couple of days so I could make sure the post op buns were eating ok etc.

Unfortunately the only hutch I had that could go indoors was my small spare one, with one set upstairs and the other downstairs. Not ideal, but needs must etc.

So for two days (including the day at the vets) my 4 buns were confined to the kind of hutch that makes me argue with petshop owners instead of their huge shed/huge deluxe hutch and massive runs. I let them out frequently, but they were sadly in there for a lot of the time.

What really shocked me was their behaviour. My lively, jumpy bunnies just gave up.:( They just lay down and slept.All the time. Understandable,given the absence of anything else to do.:-( But even when let out to play and run, both pairs just curled up together and slept some more! :shock:

It was horrible. I felt bad for keeping the healthy bunnies confined unnecessarily, but weighed that against the affect a separation would have on the recovering buns and decided that ultimately, it was better to keep them together, no matter how cramped.

They are now all back out in their bunny mansions and are binking around for all that they're worth, with no lasting damage done and both bonds fully intact, thankfully.

But it goes to show how quickly they lose heart when stuck in those hutches. :evil:Just thinking of all those poor buns still stuck in tiny boxes with no runs, and no hope. Awful. :cry:

I shall continue to argue. :)

Just having Leo in his hutch and run from the guinea pig hutch he is so much happier :) doing head binkies and stretching out :)

Back