• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much hay do you keep?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Just planning ahead for winter months really...How much hay do you tend to keep? I have a shed for storage and I have 3 big bags of straw, a bag of megazorb, 4kg pure pastures meadow hay, some chamomile herbage, some excel herbage, 2 bags of oat hay and Im going to pick up 4 bags of bagged DFH hay to keep as back up in the shed... Im also going to go and visit Norman at DFH and pick up a bale...

I constantly worry about horrid weather coming and not being able to get out to pick things up/get delieveries...last winter we didnt get rubbish collections (nor would sainsburys deliver) for about 6 weeks! :?

I've just picked up 2 bales and plan to get another 2 as soon as I sort out more storage :) My last 2 bales did from August to the end of October for 3 indoor buns and 2 indoor cavies.

If need be I can get emergency hay from P@H or the pet shop down the road. Pet shop down the road should be guarenteed to be open, as I think they live above it. Just involves treking down there through the snow.

I am planning to get enough hay in the next month to see me through till mid January though.

I have 3 huge bales delivered every week. If very bad weather is forecast I order extra :)

I know this sounds silly - but where do you store it??

We get through 2 bales of hay a week plus 2-3 'sacks'/bales of Aubiose plus of course the 10k of Pellets etc etc

At the most we can store an extra 3 bales on the top 'shelf' of the runs - though it then can only be used by the buns who live in that run (as they tend to use it as bedding even whilst its baled:roll::roll:)

We store extra pellets in a shed (special offers etc - we buy 80kg at a time) and can store an extra bale/sack of aubiose in another outside area - but more than that is impossible.

I know this sounds silly - but where do you store it??

We get through 2 bales of hay a week plus 2-3 'sacks'/bales of Aubiose plus of course the 10k of Pellets etc etc

At the most we can store an extra 3 bales on the top 'shelf' of the runs - though it then can only be used by the buns who live in that run (as they tend to use it as bedding even whilst its baled:roll::roll:)

We store extra pellets in a shed (special offers etc - we buy 80kg at a time) and can store an extra bale/sack of aubiose in another outside area - but more than that is impossible.

On pallets in the garage (no car ever goes in there) :)

I get four bales (the 25kg stuff) delivered in a go, and order the next lot when there is one bale left (so room for error if necessary- one bale lasts us about 5-6 days). Mine also gets stored in the garage with no cars, just lots of other house stuff :lol:

I usually buy two bales at a time from the local farm shop (one meadow and one timothy) then store them in our little coal shed. Then, when the bales are almost gone (a good couple of mths or so) I buy 2 more. :)

Last edited:
I just get a bale at a time and store it in the shed, I don't live far from the farm. But I'm moving soon, so I think I'm going to keep extra stored in the garage for over the winter.

One bale a time..store in in crocodile lid boxes in the bunny rooms! :) If I had 2 bales I could probabaly keep one in the shed but knowing my luck I'd fall in the pond whilst putting it in there! :lol:

If I had 2 bales I could probabaly keep one in the shed but knowing my luck I'd fall in the pond whilst putting it in there! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: That's not a problem as long as the hay doesn't get wet. ;):lol:

One bale a time..store in in crocodile lid boxes in the bunny rooms! :) If I had 2 bales I could probabaly keep one in the shed but knowing my luck I'd fall in the pond whilst putting it in there! :lol:

what size boxes do you use, and how many? And where did you get them?

I'm getting a real bale in the next week and no idea where I'm going to store it! If I could I'd just have it on top of the sideboard and not mind the hay everywhere, but the landlord is gonna be showing the flat a lot so I have to be tidy!

I keep one bale in a storage box in the garage and then bring it in in rhinotubs. A bale lasts my four about three to four weeks and I get another when the box in the garage is empty.

I have one bale in a duvet cover in the shed. I have no room for any more, but I don't live anywhere that would get proper snowed in, I could always walk to a shop!

Interesting to see everyones storage ideas!! :)

we live in a fairly small town and i dont drive so I have to be able to walk to get it or get it delivered...hopefully we wont get much snow!

Mine have got the oat hay bug so I might order a few bags of that to keep in the shed too...there is two bags of readigrass in there but they dont really seem to bother with it :?

Last edited:
I, generally speaking, have two bales in the shed at any one time, then half a bale in a wheely bin which goes next to the buns hutches for easy access. I also have two sacks of megazorb (going to try and up that to three for the next farm visit as it goes so quickly) and I've got an order of 30kg :)shock:) of food coming in the next few days. The food did get stored in another watertight outside bin because we had a problem with mice in the shed but somehow I don't think I'll be able to fit 30kg in there.

There's a P@H near me, plus several large supermarkets all of which stock hay so if worse came to the worse I could go there. No doubt the buns would turn their noses up at it though. Plus it would cost me a fortune to buy it in those tiny packs for my 10!

I usually stock up over xmas because of shop closures and delivery delays, but I don't worry about snow too much. Although I usually get hay delivered, I can walk to a shop to get large bags of hay, so in snow, that is where I could get them. You do usually get a warning about snow a week or so in advance, so I'd make sure I was stocked up in preparation for it, but I wouldn't have tons of stock over winter, just in case we had snow.

Back