• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I regreat getting a rabbit...

I wanted a pet, I used to have a cat which I had a great relationship with. Now I've gotten a rabbit. Things have gone pretty well. He lets me pet it some times, and he sniffs me at times.

The first couple of days he licked me! But then he stopped. He still sniffs at me. And sometimes he wants me to pet him, sometimes he's terrified of me. Other times he walks on top of me.
I don't feel he is a pet as in a dog/cat/horse type of way. He seems to be like an insect or a reptile. Not really caring if I live or die. And being afraid of me but yet not.

But I do care about him enough not to give him away. I will feed him and take care of him since I took him in I have to be responsible.

Let this be a warning to other people. Rabbits are not like dogs or cats. They are rodents. They don't love you and they don't hate you, unless you abuse them.

My rabbits follow me about the house and flop out by my feet for a stroke exactly the same way as my mums cats do!i'm sure this means they love me!

Give him time and patience and he may grow to love you. Mine love me! Especially if I have a bag of fengreek crunchies in my hand :lol:

Due to the bitterness of this post I am uncertain whether this is genuine or just trolling.

Jane has beaten me to explaining rabbits belong to lagomorphia not rodentia.

As a keeper of a few reptiles I hear the voice of no experience deriding them as pets. Some species of them too can respond if they are treated correctly.

Think of your relationship with pets as being similar to a bank account; you can't make a withdrawal before you make a deposit.

I wanted a pet, I used to have a cat which I had a great relationship with. Now I've gotten a rabbit. Things have gone pretty well. He lets me pet it some times, and he sniffs me at times.

The first couple of days he licked me! But then he stopped. He still sniffs at me. And sometimes he wants me to pet him, sometimes he's terrified of me. Other times he walks on top of me.
I don't feel he is a pet as in a dog/cat/horse type of way. He seems to be like an insect or a reptile. Not really caring if I live or die. And being afraid of me but yet not.

But I do care about him enough not to give him away. I will feed him and take care of him since I took him in I have to be responsible.

Let this be a warning to other people. Rabbits are not like dogs or cats. They are rodents. They don't love you and they don't hate you, unless you abuse them.

That is so sad that you feel like that about your rabbit. They really are wonderful little creatures, very intelligent and people overlook that. I hope that you come to like him a bit more. I love my rabbits so much and they are so funny and they can be very loving, but they are all different and some rabbits are not "people" rabbits but they might be "rabbit" rabbits. Is it an option to get him a wife? Is he neutered? He might calm down a bit if he had another of his kind.

That is so sad that you feel like that about your rabbit. They really are wonderful little creatures, very intelligent and people overlook that. I hope that you come to like him a bit more. I love my rabbits so much and they are so funny and they can be very loving, but they are all different and some rabbits are not "people" rabbits but they might be "rabbit" rabbits. Is it an option to get him a wife? Is he neutered? He might calm down a bit if he had another of his kind.

This :thumb: Rabbits can be EXTREMELY entertaining but you have to get to know them, understand their needs, give them the right environment etc. Every bun is different :) When neutered and bonded with another of their own kind their personality can change and you see them in a totally different light (because they are generally much happier and more relaxed).

Due to the bitterness of this post I am uncertain whether this is genuine or just trolling.

Jane has beaten me to explaining rabbits belong to lagomorphia not rodentia.

As a keeper of a few reptiles I hear the voice of no experience deriding them as pets. Some species of them too can respond if they are treated correctly.

Think of your relationship with pets as being similar to a bank account; you can't make a withdrawal before you make a deposit

Excellent analogy :)

Is it an option to get him a wife? Is he neutered? He might calm down a bit if he had another of his kind.

He is not neutered. The problem I have with him is him changing his feelings for me. A cat/dog might be scared of you at first, but when you treat them good they stop being afraid.

This rabbit walks all over me and wants me to pet him. And other times he thinks I'm going to hurt him??? Talk about mood swings, like if he had multiple personality disorder.

Should I get him a girlfriend? Will that calm him down?

He is not neutered. The problem I have with him is him changing his feelings for me. A cat/dog might be scared of you at first, but when you treat them good they stop being afraid.

This rabbit walks all over me and wants me to pet him. And other times he thinks I'm going to hurt him??? Talk about mood swings, like if he had multiple personality disorder.

He must be neutered. Then you must wait 8 weeks for his hormones to die down. Then you can consider getting him a partner. Please consider going to a reputable rescue where they will have speyed females. Some will offer to do the bonding for you.

Is he a house rabbit?

He'll need to be neutered before you bond him to a female rabbit, and other rabbit should be neutered also. Is he vaccinated? This is also very important.

I love rabbits. I don't expect any love from them, they are not liike cats and dogs, they are a prey animal, and you are a predator (to them), so they have reason to be afraid at first. Some rabbits display a lot of love and affection towards their human owners, some don't at all, you just have to except rabbits as they are.

Think about how big you are compared to the rabbit. It's quite usual for them to be scared when you are moving about, or at least be cautious and give themselves some distance. The fact that he comes to you for attention is a good thing, not all rabbits do this. Have you tried hand feeding healthy treats?

No he's not vaccinated. And I do love him, he makes me happy.

When I first got him he peed himself out of fear.
Then he licked me.
Then he got scared of me again, but not so much that he pees.

Think about how big you are compared to the rabbit. It's quite usual for them to be scared when you are moving about, or at least be cautious and give themselves some distance. The fact that he comes to you for attention is a good thing, not all rabbits do this. Have you tried hand feeding healthy treats?

Oh yeah, that's the only time he's NOT scared of me. At first he was too scared to eat from my hand, but not anymore.

Back