• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur/Lapizole

MichG

Mama Doe
My Minky has poss EC (waiting for blood results to come back) she is on a cocktail of drugs but one thing that surprised me is that the vet did not perscribe Panacur/Lapizole.
On discussion she said that she has never seen good results with it and that there is no proof that it actually works, and said she doesn't think the 28 days course really works if the bun does have EC, but the anitbiotics and pain relief work fine on their own. I may have come home and started on the Lapizole, mainly because I have it in the cupboard and because Minky LOVES it. The vet says it will do no harm if she enjoys it (might be less inclined to do it if she hated it) but it probably won't help. She is an exotic vet and deals with bunnies all the time (we were referred to her as our referral centre) I have also spoken to another exotic vet in the area who agrees with this. Has anyone else found this? If anyone went to the RWAF conference what did they say about it there? I am waiting for my conference notes to come through.

I am in no way saying that if your bun has EC or suspected EC then don't treat with Fenbendazole but just checking out what everyone else thinks/has heard about this. I know my vet is good and reputable in what she is saying so I don't doubt it. Just wanted to hear other peoples views. Has panacur/Lapizole helped your bun in the past?

My Minky has poss EC (waiting for blood results to come back) she is on a cocktail of drugs but one thing that surprised me is that the vet did not perscribe Panacur/Lapizole.
On discussion she said that she has never seen good results with it and that there is no proof that it actually works, and said she doesn't think the 28 days course really works if the bun does have EC, but the anitbiotics and pain relief work fine on their own. I may have come home and started on the Lapizole, mainly because I have it in the cupboard and because Minky LOVES it. The vet says it will do no harm if she enjoys it (might be less inclined to do it if she hated it) but it probably won't help. She is an exotic vet and deals with bunnies all the time (we were referred to her as our referral centre) I have also spoken to another exotic vet in the area who agrees with this. Has anyone else found this? If anyone went to the RWAF conference what did they say about it there? I am waiting for my conference notes to come through.

I am in no way saying that if your bun has EC or suspected EC then don't treat with Fenbendazole but just checking out what everyone else thinks/has heard about this. I know my vet is good and reputable in what she is saying so I don't doubt it. Just wanted to hear other peoples views. Has panacur/Lapizole helped your bun in the past?

I agree with your Vet :)

I agree with your Vet :)

Thanks, that what I was hoping you would say :)
When I told the Vet nurse at work she was shocked that I hadn't been advised to start all 11 on Lapizole straight away as a precaution.

I was glad the vet said not to bother :lol: I have some feisty buns!

Thanks, that what I was hoping you would say :)
When I told the Vet nurse at work she was shocked that I hadn't been advised to start all 11 on Lapizole straight away as a precaution.

I was glad the vet said not to bother :lol: I have some feisty buns!

I dare not post my opinion on Panacur/Lapizole use on here cos would be shot down in flames !

I know what I feel is right for my Rabbits, with my Vet's agreement of course :)

I would be very interested to hear more into this. If some vets advise against the use of Fenbendazole when the rabbit actually has EC, then what's the point of using it as a preventation, given every year, or multiple times a year? Maybe more studies and research needs to be done into this.

I would be very interested to hear more into this. If some vets advise against the use of Fenbendazole when the rabbit actually has EC, then what's the point of using it as a preventation, given every year, or multiple times a year? Maybe more studies and research needs to be done into this.

I dont give any of my Rabbits Fenbendazole courses as a 'precaution'. My Vet does not recommend doing so :)

My vet says giving it as a precaution is not necessary, she also said that in her opinion doing it monthly is a waste of money (I have never done it monthy but that is the advice from the company)
She didn't give any further reasons, I felt I didn't need any. But can certainly ask during my appointment on monday with her :)

I dare not post my opinion on Panacur/Lapizole use on here cos would be shot down in flames !

I know what I feel is right for my Rabbits, with my Vet's agreement of course :)

Probobaly not by me. I too am not a fan of it, have no interest in using it unless they have actual visible intestinal worms, either as a preventative or as anything else.

The person I learnt most about this from says it doesn't penetrate the blood brain barrier so is relatively pointless. In the US they use a different drug for EC and have found it to be more effective.

But yes, I'm with Jane (and my vets are comfortable with what I do too- have never recommended any sort of preventative or any EC treatment at all)

I'm not at all sure it 'works' in the sense that it eradicates enough spores, but I do believe that it does something. When I gave my bunnies Panacur, I used to see improvement in them within 36 hours.

Back