• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis Advice

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

Milly has stasis and I'm worried. She's been to the vet this evening and had pain relief and gut stimulant. She's also had around 15ml of Supreme Recovery with water (split into 2 meals). She was eating dried dandelion, and was eating a strand or two of hay here and there. But after having the second supreme recovery, she seems to have stalled. She found it quite stressful so she's now really quiet. She's refusing dandelion from my hand, but she is just this minute eating a bit of hay and an apple leaf. She's making very slow progress, and only seems to eat for about a minute before sitting back in the corner for another 20 minutes, before getting up to eat again for another minute and then sit back down. :( She's not hunched and is able to scratch her ears and wash herself properly, which she couldn't do earlier today (due to I think a cylap limp). Should i try anything else, or just let her be? She seems to find me a bit scary right now, so I'm thinking just leaving her alone is the best thing.

I would let her be but check on her a few times. I find with Smudge fussing him too much makes him less likely to eat. He's more likely to take himself off to the hay box when people are not around if he's feeling a bit rough. Also if she's had some recovery food then she may just be a little full. Have you trying syringing some cooled boiled water? I've found this has helped in the past.

I would let her be but check on her a few times. I find with Smudge fussing him too much makes him less likely to eat. He's more likely to take himself off to the hay box when people are not around if he's feeling a bit rough. Also if she's had some recovery food then she may just be a little full. Have you trying syringing some cooled boiled water? I've found this has helped in the past.

They are both inside tonight, so I'm watching her like a hawk. its funny, when I look at her, she stops eating and stares at me. When I don't look at her, she eats, so I'm trying to monitor her out of the corner of my eye. :lol: cheeky bunny. :love:

just put some fresh hay in, and she's trying to find the tasty strands, which is good. she's eating for a bit longer now, around 5 minutes at the moment, the longest she's been eating all day.

Best thing you can do right now is what you are doing- monitoring very closley, what I find helps sometimes is (this is going to sound crazy!) setting up a mirror so I can sneekly look at them and check they are eating but doing it in a way that does not put them off :lol:
Try tempting with all her fav things such as fresh herbs, grass and bramble leaves and dandelion leaves- sometimes it helps to leave a food buffet out for them to pick at.
I wouldnt advise syringe feeding if she is picking at food on her own as it is only likely to stress her out and possibly make her worse.
Hope she feels better very soon!

thank you both. Woke up this morning and she still seems very quiet and not totally her usual self. she is however eating a bit of hay which is good, but is terrified of me. :cry: If I try to handfeed her dandelion, she refuses it. I think i'll put them both outside today so she's in her normal environment which should calm her down.

Hope she improves over the course of the day. Her normal environment might help now, although keeping her in to monitor the early stages is what I would have done too.

she is pooing, although they are small. she's also doing caecotrophs, but she's not eating them. (its good that her cecum is working and food is passing through, although don't know why she's not eating them). They are always so good about eating their caecotrophs, I've never seen them before so this is totally new to me. She still refuses pellets but she is eating hay. Anything I handfeed her gets ignored because I think last night doing syringe feeding freaked her out. :cry:

That's great that she's eating some hay. Smudge would poo some small ones and some naaaaaasty smelling poos as well, once he passed those he started eating with a bit more enthusiasm.

It does sound positive... a little is being eaten and coming out the other end, after all. Fingers crossed for further improvement. :)

Thanks. She is eating more hay and is enthusiastically eating dried dandelion. :D She is still refusing old SS pellets (the 19% fibre ones which they have been on for ages) but tried her with the new 23% fibre SS pellets and she loved them. :thumb: So going to try and slowly introduce them over to the new pellets now (was planning to do it later, but they obviously prefer the new ones).

I may bring her in again tonight to just keep an eye on her. What do you think? Could it be more stressed and be counter-productive?

What does her body temperature feel like? Ears etc? If she is in any way cold I'd be tempted to have her in. It's a tough call though, as you obviously don't want to have her in vastly different temperatures.

What does her body temperature feel like? Ears etc? If she is in any way cold I'd be tempted to have her in. It's a tough call though, as you obviously don't want to have her in vastly different temperatures.

my room is cold, we have no heaters on, and the window was open last night, so the temperature was roughly the same as outside. The only thing is is that being indoors seems to stress her and I don't want her to go backwards. She's now eating the old SS pellets (although not with the same enthusium as the new SS pellets), and she's even reaching up with her paws on the wire asking for dandelion, so she's eating eagerly. She is still quiet in herself, but I think she's better in her own environment.

I have no advice but I hope she is back to normal and feeling better soon xxx

thanks.

She's eaten her dinner (which was a mix of old and new SS pellets and she ate her half (Molly had her half too)), and she's eaten hay and plantain, so I'm happy. She's outside tonight. Hopefully she'll be back to her old self in the morning, pushing the hutch door open to get at her pellets. :love:

Back