• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my poor babies :(

Kayleigh15

New Kit
Little story so you all get the gist..
I had 2 rabbits for my little girl, I thought they were both girls, until a few weeks after realising 1 was a boy. He had the op so they couldn't have babies. 5 weeks ago we found 5 beautiful baby rabbits in our hutch. At least 7 days old as they were due a clean. Mum and dad did a brilliant job bringing them up, both cleaned them and mum fed them really well. Monday morning we woke and mummy and 1 of the babies had died. Really upsetting time as I'd just lost my bird also (of 20years) me and my partner in bits mainly over mum but obviously the baby too. We moved them inside monday as the vets seem to think it may have been a fox scare. Babies seem to have been eating nuggets and veg fine. Monday tea time another baby died. This morning, another, so we took the remaining 3 babies and dad to the vets for a check. Babies weighed fine, eyes fine, dad healthy. White baby looking abit sheepish was given an antibiotic injection and the vets said it may die too. Trauma and lack of food. Anyway given syringes and food to feed the babies and something for dad. Fed 3 babies before work came home to another baby dead. We've just this minute lost our 4th gorgeous baby and are in bits. The last little baby isn't looking good either. Anybody had anything similar to this? Anybody can help? Will dad be ok? We have mother and babies waiting to be buried but want to wait (as bad as it is) to see the outcome in the morning. How do we move on from this?

So sorry :( hopefully someone will come along with some advice soon. Thinking of you and fingers crossed for daddy and the little one x

Wow, what a horrid rough time you seem to have had. Lots of love and vibes to you.

Have you had a post morten done? I am sure someone will be along with some sound advice for you soon

No well at least I don't think so. What's this? I took them both for a check when they were about 10weeks old and no1 mentioned a vaccination needed?x

Im afraid I have no advice but wanted to just say im so sorry you lost your bunnies. I hope the others manage to thrive. Lots of good luck vibes for them.x.x.

The last little bunny has taken its place where all the others have gone to die :'( can't even describe how I'm feeling and feel for daddy. Mummy and all the other babies are waiting for it so they can get buried. From Mon daddys lost his best friend (mummy) and all his babies. Hope daddys strong enough to overcome this xx

The last little bunny has taken its place where all the others have gone to die :'( can't even describe how I'm feeling and feel for daddy. Mummy and all the other babies are waiting for it so they can get buried. From Mon daddys lost his best friend (mummy) and all his babies. Hope daddys strong enough to overcome this xx

I am really sorry :cry:

If you intend to obtain any more Rabbits then I think you need to try to establish a cause of death. If it is VHD then bringing in any other Rabbit is not an option until you have taken every precaution to decontaminate the accommodation. This would involve burning all hutches. Grass based runs cannot be used by other Rabbits for several months. Concrete based runs need to be thoroughly washed with jeyes fluid and then rinsed several times with BOILING water. A steam clean would be a good idea too.

Is there any way you could take the latest fatality to the Vet for a Post Mortem examination ?

I'm so sorry, we had similar with my first rabbits. Got them from the pet shop, thought they were 2 boys until we found a nest of 5 babies. Had dad neutered. Then over the next few weeks all the babies started to die off and eventually mum too. I decided no more as I was obviously the grim reaper of rabbits. The only explanation anyone could offer for the loss of mine was that they were too badly inbred. Not sure I believe that now I know more about rabbits but I still don't know what caused it. We were all really devastated at the loss of all the buns too and I vowed no more. After 3 months of watching dad alone and sad I couldn't stand it anymore so got in touch with my local rescue and adopted him a new partner. We now have 10 of our own rabbits and 3 foster rabbits. :)

I didn't want anymore rabbits but dad seems ok just sad. A lady I know has a soft female who's also lonely and said we could try and introduce but wait and see for a while. I don't know if I could. How much are rabbit PM? Feels selfish and unfair I'm considering money but as christmas is approaching all my moneys tied up elsewhere! I'm guessing around 150? My daughters playroom has turned into a depressing place and the atmosphere in this house is daunting. Hate the fact I couldn't help them.x

Ar and the rabbits got on well when you introduced them? So sad. I'm traumatised by it all. Can't actually believe its happened x

I'm so sorry for all you're going through. It's important to get dad immunised if you're in the UK, and also neutered (if he hasn't been) before introducing any bunny else to him. Any bunny you do introduce also needs to be imunised as well. If this was VHD then you need to make sure all animals are protected.

As for a PM, your best bet is to contact your vets. I think we paid £80 for the first part of the PM I had done on a rabbit that died unexpectedly and then a further £80 for more specific tests (by choice), so it might be cheaper than you think.

Just rang the vets and they said 60pound approx. But u have to catch the death hours after which is hard as I'm going to work soon and no1 to sit and watch. Oh its just a living nightmare really. They haven't even mentioned vaccinations their putting it down to the trauma of mum and being so young. The baby rabbits eyes keep shutting and s/he keeps swaying but trying its hardest to eat. Been watching them all morning and nearly late for work. Thanks again everyone

Would it maybe be fairest to take the bunny to the vets to have it put to sleep if the vets are unable to try anything to try and help it? (obviously see if there is anything they can do to help first).

Possibly but its really trying to eat lettuce and nuggets but looking very tired. I can't give in in him/her if their trying to keep going? I don't know what to do for the best. at work now. If dad has any infection is it too late to have the injection?

If you take the bunny to the vets and ask for their help then maybe they might be able to do something to help, you don't know. It might be worth asking for a recommendation for a good vet in your area so that you can know they are seeing a good vet, which gives them every chance.

It may be trying to eat, but if it's swaying then it's weak, so needs help in some way- some rabbits will eat right up until the last minute though so eating, whilst important, isn't always something to look at. You need to look at the whole rabbit and all that is going on.

If you get dad the injection it may be too late, but it may not be. You wil need to ensure he has Lapinject because that only takes 6 days to take hold and cover him, whereas Cylap takes 21 days. I don't know how long Anivac takes though.

Back