• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tramadol

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
For those that have/do use Tramadol, how did you give it? Were you given capsules that you had to break down yourself? If yes, how did you do it? What did you find worked for you?

(also, did it help whatever it was prescribed for?)

My aunt took tramadol for years and years and it really helped her. Well she used to take too many, but that is a different story. Sedated her as well, but it was about the only painkiller that worked for her.

Not sure if you are asking about bunnies or people but I was given a couple of tablets to use for Dylan if the metacam isn't controlling his pain sufficiently. I think I had to break the tablets up and give a quarter.

He had a 'wobble' when he needed additional pain meds and stopped eating but then was fine again on his usual dose so I think the vet's rationale was that if I had something at home to help, it would be less stressful and more immediate for Dylan than me taking him to the surgery.

My own arthritis is worst some days than others and there seems to be no pattern to it so I guess it may be the same for Dylan.

I've not had to use the tramadol yet fortunately.

I am assuming this is for you not the rabbit.

Please be careful with Tramadol - it put me in A & E - some people just cant tolerate it. It made me vomit every few moments and pass out. Took 48 hours or more to wear off.

Just to clarify, this is bunny related (as Sky isn't around atm, so hopefully others can reply with this info) for pain that can't be controlled by metacam alone.

As it's in Health and you've said how did you 'give' it instead of 'take' it, as answering regarding rabbits.

Artie was given it when he was admitted with kidney stones. He was on it as an inpatient so I can't comment on how effective/how was it given etc. He did have it on both occasions though so I will assume that it was considered effective first time to have gone that route again. Somebun else has had it when admitted with stasis also - could have been Esme when she had a blockage but without looking at the invoices, I can't remember.

It looks like it's being given very short-term for intense pain.

Thank you everyone, yes, this is in relation to rabbits. I didn't make it clear in the post, I didn't even consider it because of where I placed it, sorry.

We're adding it in for Wish's tooth root issues because she seems to be struggling but has no spurs, but is very bright, so we have to try something else for her, because that's what she wants.

sorry:oops: because I use 'wahts new' I often dont notice where things are posted.

My vet has used Ketamin very very successfully for short term pain relief (over a couple of days) it works wonderfully for us.

As I have had such bad reactions to tramadol I am not sure how I would feel about giving it to a rabbit.

Back