• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Telling the truth about rabbits... (to oh's)

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
... without making them sound like evil monsters is hard!

My bf wants us to move in with him, he's been asking for a few months, but I'm in no hurry as I really want him to be fully aware of what he's in for. My rabbits live inside, they have their own room, and he wants them to stay inside as he thinks they wouldn't like it outside.

My bf built his own house and it's lovely, so I am trying to make him fully aware of rabbit's destructive properties without putting him off fully, but I don't think he believes such cute little fluffers could cause the things I am mentioning.

Does anyone else think oak doors will read to rabbits as 'buffet'? He said they can go in the study so long as they don't chew the wires, but I said of course they will! He doesn't believe me.
:lol:

Let him read a few of Barn Yard Bunnies posts about Mr Bennet or someone elses norty bunny stories.....Just a suggestion!! lol!!

He sounds gorgous,Can I have a share of him?????????xxxx

I will lend him Strawberry- it would take him seconds to find any cables no matter how well hidden and an oak door would do him nicely for brunch!

You will need to do some serious bunny proofing!! Is your OH house proud? He sounds very considerate :)
Finx enjoyed eating the wooden doors in the flat we lived in last winter! And the door frames, and the skirting board, and the carpet... :D

Oh, and I still owe my OH a pair of expensive headphones... :oops:

explain it this way.
Bunnies in the wild see wires as roots in their warren they will remove them:lol:
thats the way i explained it to the OH:lol:

explain it this way.
Bunnies in the wild see wires as roots in their warren they will remove them:lol:
thats the way i explained it to the OH:lol:

Yup roots or baby trees, show him how quickly they demolish an apple twig, that might help :lol:

I agree with happybun. Of the 3buns I have just now, one is so destructive. Its' one thing having a garden/shed destroyed - we just have a laugh - but beautiful oak doors?!!!!! :shock:

Outdoor palace sounds good.

I agree with happybun. Of the 3buns I have just now, one is so destructive. Its' one thing having a garden/shed destroyed - we just have a laugh - but beautiful oak doors?!!!!! :shock:

Outdoor palace sounds good.

I don't see the big deal guys....rabbit proof with cable ties for wires...and wood...well dabbing vinegar or hairspray (more invisible) works wonders x

tell him i owe my bf; a new turntable, a wire for his xbox controller (the 2nd one, the 1st one was chewed through too!, a wire for the sound for his xbox; and he just bought himself a new wire for his laptop charger haha! Not to mention hole in sofa, chewed wall, weed on cushion, and as i write this he just Hitley just had a go on the wire for the computer!!!!i now have the tv and xbaox caged at night, the stereos too far gone, the sofa has a throw and the walls get vinegared which i actually think hitley is developing a taste for!

My OH was very understanding when I said that I couldn't buy a flat with him because the buns need a garden....so we bought a house instead. :lol:

Maybe ask if he could build an extension to the house for the buns? ;):lol:

We adopted Rolo-bun from Angie at BARC for the grand sum of £35. He's been part of our family for just over a year and has cost us around.......£2000!

And thats not vets bills! Thats a new suite, 2 new carpets. Re-wallpapering. New skirting board and prob a dozen chargers for laptop, phones and the WII. Not to mention the £46 we had to cough up to Virgin media after he went through the main TV cable and they had to come and mend it!!

But.............................................we love him!:love::love:

If Id not seen it for myself, I wouldnt have believed such a cute fluffy bundle would be capable of destruction on the scale of a cloud of man-eating locusts!! lol

Rach xx

Archie nibbled my OH's *ahem* private area when he was snoozing on the sofa. That put him off any intention of wanting to move in with me ... :thumb:

Archie nibbled my OH's *ahem* private area when he was snoozing on the sofa. That put him off any intention of wanting to move in with me ... :thumb:

:shock::shock::shock:

HA!

Archie was clearly just making your OH know who the most important male in your life is!!

:lol:

Now guys, I said not to put off completely.
He thinks it's too windy where we live for them to be outside. :roll: We do live by the sea... and he gets a lot of cats in his garden.

He's never had pets before so he's a bit over protective. He's thinking of building them an indoor pen to go around the edges of the room to protect the doors and skirting, but what about the carpet! :lol: Dear me, he has a whole top floor which is not in use at the moment but he says it gets too hot in summer up there and the wind comes through. He's bought a load of insulation to put in. So maybe he's given in.

Bless him. Just don't want to get there and have him regret it because faline is a destructo monster and he is rather house proud.

Couldn't he just come over to your place and take a look at the reality of having them around?

I would say to him that they really can be very destructive and maybe show him some examples (I'm sure if you start a thread people will be more than happy to share their pics), but then explain you can thoroughly rabbit proof a room for not much money and show him some examples of what that would look like too - for instance he could screw a panel of mdf to the bottom of his nice oak door and it would only leave a few small holes.

Be realistic. Yes, bunnies can do A LOT of damage, but it's mostly preventable and all fixable.:)

Back