• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What are the signs of toothache in buns?

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
I might be paranoid but, I am concerned about Sprocket again. He's normally mad keen on crunchies but this afternoon it seemed like he was struggling to eat one. He has been eating hay off and on all day. I have noticed that he is moving his head from side to side a bit more than normal while eating. He also seems less able to compete with Widget who seems to have no problem stealing food from him.

I wasn't sure if he was getting a bloat episode again, so I have given him some infacol and metacam, but he still seems interested in food, which he normally isn't when he's really ill and is still reasonably active although slightly more subdued than he usually is. He seems to be taking small, slow bites (he's just eaten a spring green leaf but very slowly). Widget polished hers off in seconds. They both had their teeth checked in early October, when they had their vaccinations done, the vet didn't find anything.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jo

The signs and symptoms of needing a dental are hugely varied, but if I saw seeing what you are, I would be questioning teeth exactly the same as you are.

It would be wise to have a dental check ASAP. :)

Thanks for confirming, he was able (and keen) to take a crunchie but only if I broke it into little pieces. Ho hum, looks like it's back to vets again for us. :(

Things like, not eating or refusing certain food. Dropping food from their mouth, drinking a lot, moving their mouth in an odd way, sitting hunched up, grinding teeth. There are a lot. Acting oddly is a sure sign that something is up though. :?

Back