• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying - post-op

Alleycat

Alpha Buck
Good evening all,

I now have two options to have my bunny spayed, but none of them are that great, and as no vet here can give me a proper answer to my question, I'll try here:

1. Travel 2.5 hours in a car on a really dodgy road, and then 2.5 hours back again after the op - in my opinion, this is not even an option
2. Travel 6 hours on a train, and then let her recover in a vet's facility which is manned 24 hours a day, but away from her home, and sadly also from me for 5 days - not ideal, but at least she will have proper care, although without all the lveo and attention I normally shower her with
3. Leave her unspayed and hope for the best - I don't think I can do this, as I will worry sick

I really don't know what do... :(

I see you live in the Ukraine, so I guess you need to travel far to see your vets.

What about a 2.5 hour car trip and leave her there for a few days to recover, then pick her up in the car ?

Good evening all,

I now have two options to have my bunny spayed, but none of them are that great, and as no vet here can give me a proper answer to my question, I'll try here:

1. Travel 2.5 hours in a car on a really dodgy road, and then 2.5 hours back again after the op - in my opinion, this is not even an option
2. Travel 6 hours on a train, and then let her recover in a vet's facility which is manned 24 hours a day, but away from her home, and sadly also from me for 5 days - not ideal, but at least she will have proper care, although without all the lveo and attention I normally shower her with
3. Leave her unspayed and hope for the best - I don't think I can do this, as I will worry sick

I really don't know what do... :(

If those were my options I'd go with number two providing she's ok with the traveling. I know happysaz on here has done similar with hers but I think she stayed overnight somewhere near the vets rather than travelling home. Is there any reason she'd have to stay away from home for 5 days rather than one or two?

Thank you for your answers - no, there is no reason why I can't stay with ehr for 2 days - I just it would be better for her to not get stressed before 5 days or so have passed?

She is not a big fan of travelling, so I think the train ride would be bad for her in a "depleted" condition, so it is probably better if I do the car ride, and stay overnight with her in this place and then take her back after one or two days depending on how she is feeling...

Back