• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you give up a rabbit whose personality/behaviour was a chore?

Nope, because the bunnies are primarily here for their sake, not mine- the fact they benefit me is a happy coincidence :D

I'm not sure how a personality/behaviour could be a chore though? Surely it would just be a case of looking at the behaviour and working out why the bunny was acting as it was and then looking for a way to solve it?

No. My rabbits are complete destruct-o-buns and have cost hundreds and hundreds in damage... Example, woke up this morning to my speakers (that were out of their way!) have been hunted down and eaten, the carpet has been more shredded (can see the floorboards) and the wallpaper has been ripped off more. This isn't to mention the fact that they wake me up every half an hour in the night! But I brought them into this house, they are staying here. I won't even put them outside.

No, if their behaviour was natural, ie digging, chewing etc. However, if the rabbit was displaying abnormal behaviours, and I wouldn't improve their environment, situation etc, then I would consider rehoming for the rabbit's sake. However I personally always try to keep my rabbits happy so they don't develop abnormal behaviours.

No. We have no right to give up on a little life just because it doesn't suit us. Eddie wasn't a people bunny, but that wasn't his fault, so we gave him the life we thought he needed - lots of free range time, and not too many stressful cuddles (he pretty much only got handled for health checks).

I read about Angie65s Calel (sp?), and how his previous owners wanted to have him PTS because he was aggressive and it really upset me! Not his fault! His owners had no right to decide whether he lived or died based on that...

:D

No.

Nahla is very "difficult", you could say. She hates me, and she hates other bunnies. But, I love her and I know it's not her fault; she came from a very bad situation.

I just keep trying with her and hopefully when I move out in a few years time, I'll be in a better position to try and find the perfect solution.:)

If there was someone who could help the bunnies "problems" and improve it's quality of life then I'd consider it. Feel free to think badly of me, but I'd always do what I feel was best for the animal and if it was suffering and I couldn't help it and someone else could then I'd let it go.

Last edited:
My thing is Leo.

He's been through so much with me but I just find him an effort to look after. Following on from the fight with Lois, which he's instigated they're both now living alone. There's no chance of having him as a house rabbit nor is there anyway of me changing the set up to give both of them a decent living area.

I know that you can't just "swap" a rabbit but from observations it seems like Lois could quite happily be bonded with another rabbit. But I don't have the space to have another rabbit as well as Leo.

My heart of hearts is saying that he may be best off in a home where he can be a house rabbit and get the one to one care that he obviously needs to bring him out of his shell. With my working hours and the other animals I don't really have the time to devote hours of time to him. My selfish side doesn't want to let him go, as I love the little man but it seems unfair to have two single rabbits when one could potentially be bonded and not giving them the one to one care that they need.

Please no-one judge me as I'm in a horrible situation at the moment between my head and heart.

No or Jojo would have left a long time ago :lol:

Saying that I could understand if someone found they couldn't cope with a bunny for whatever reason and tried there best to find it a better home with someone who would understand. It is much better to do that than keep the bunny and neglect it because you couldn;t deal with it :)

Those are two different issues. One is that you find him difficult to look after, and two is that you think he may benefit from something you can't give him. One is about you, one is about him.

I think you need to consider what is best for him, and remove yourself from the situation (although those points may be tied up together, but it's most important to look at what is best for him and why it is and how to get that).

I also think you need to ensure that if you do rehome him, that whoever takes him on understands he has had a horrendous time with other bunnies (starting with when he was nearly castrated by another buck) and therefore has problems behaviours, likely due to that.

I would suggest not doing anything just yet though. There may still be some knee jerk reaction in there to the divorce. Let things settle a bit and have a think and make sure that you follow your gut instinct as to what is best.

***hugs*** That's a horrible situation and actually I'm in a similar situation. I've had to split a bonded pair because the male was bullying the female, to the point where he'd bitten her badly. Now the male is in a small cage in the shed and the female is loose. I can't rebond them and I've got nothing else to keep the male in and nowhere else to house him. I'm stuck and haven't got a clue what to do :(

At the end of the day you have to do what you feel is best for you, Leo and Lois... Either way it's a difficult decision.

yes i would. i will be controversial here. i think it would depend on the behavioural issues and the needs of the bunny. for example if i had a flat and the rabbit i homed hated being indoors and was destructive i would give that rabbit up to have a better life with someone else where they had a large garden and a freind.
again if the rabbit had beahvioural issues and was aggressive to the point of safety for children within the household again i would do the same. I hasten to add i would try all avenues first to make the rabbit and my life happier and to try and combat the behavioural issues.and would pay out numerous vetinary costs/behaviourists and take time to try and resolve also if the behavioural issues were unable to be sorted then id have to look at alternativesd i dont think it would ever be an easy decision.

I do have a almost blind rabbit who has aggression issues and i do also have dental bunnies i also used to have an ec bunny who was incontinant and i have and do cope with all these issues without any problems as i work around them and they are happy here so please dont think im being unkind when i say i would give up a rabbit if nessacery. Dora was never easy to care for initially an escape artist in her youth and as she got older her leg problems, snuffles and ec and incontinance took their toll i spent litrally thousands on her in her last few months ensuring her siezures were kept under control and that she had the best of everything so by no means would i not go the extra mile. i do think though there are times when you have to say i cant cope with this behaviour bubt someone else could and would make a perfect home and give up i am lucky to be able to afford the expense of the vet fees my rabbits have incurred and probebley will continue to incur.

however i did give a rabbit back to rescue fairly recently and im not ashamed about it. firstly the rabbit i got was meant to be a freind for arthur. the rabbit in question he picked and there was plenty of mutual grooming. i took them home to bond. this resulted in her randomly attacking him out of the blue and nesting, she was neutered over a year before. i could have bonded them fully iv no doubt but i didnt trust her evidently they both liked each other as there was lots of cuddling but the injurys were too much they were also to at random she would be fine for a day or two then fly at him and bite him causing blood and puncture wounds. i returned the bunny to alice. explained the behavioural issues and why i didnt feel that even if i fully bonded them that i could ever trust her as she kept turning at random for no reason i didnt want to take her on as a solo bunny and i didnt feel she would bond with my other pair this was sad but nessacery to return her. i believe maybe she still had hormonal issues that needed addressing or to live in a different home with a rabbit less docile who would keep her in check rather than getting bullied. arthur now has two wives from alices who are very happily bonded and while they play chase there is never aggression and they are very happy together in their little trio.

in relation to your dilema i too would look to rehome the rabbit as you say you have no room for another bunny and sounds to me pretty similar to my own situation. i think doing what is best for the rabbits is not selfish and is actually kinder. x

No way.

My Herbie is one moddy little so n so. I have had him for over two years and he still runs away in the huff quite often. Things are deffo on his terms. I suppose it makes it all the better when he is actually nice!

No.

Frankie is really hard work, but I had a feeling she would be the second I set my eyes on her! We've bunny proofed as best as we can, but she still tries to leap off the top of sofas etc, There always has to be someone around with her. She's cost me a fortune in vet bills, her latest was an emergency vet trip as she hurt herself doing giant binky's and bunny 3000 round the room. Her only speed is fast!! She doesn't do cuddles, at all, but has started to really love nose rubs. We nearly lost her a couple of weeks after we had her, it was a real battle to get her back to health. Most probably caused by her being taken away from her mum too soon. Her and her sisters were pet shop bunnies, and after looking at so many something just clicked with these ones. My sister had found a bun that needed rehoming, and we were going to take him, but she fell in love with him the weekend he stayed with her while we could gather up bits for him to come home to us. We had our heart set on taking on bunnies again, so looked around to see if there were any others we liked, so my sister could keep Max the one that was being rehomed. I registered my interest with the staff just before a man and his daughters came looking at them. He only wanted Frankie and said he was going to put her in with their other bunny. Not being funny, but they didn't seem to be the kind of people who would know about bonding etc. I stood my ground that I had already asked about her. I always wonder what her fate would have been if she had gone with them.

We've spent the summer redoing the garden for them, but couldn't get everything done intime for the weather to change. They'll be outside next year though and it will be so much easier with her in the aviary, but I will miss her crazy antics!! looking at her trying to snuggle up and sleep just now, I honestly couldn't give her up for anything :love:

Back