• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad attitude towards rabbits as pets.

sun_city_girl

Warren Veteran
So recently having a poorly bunny, i have encountered some very strange and disappointing views towards my rabbits, its true my money is restricted but i would never have pets if i couldnt afford them...anyway besides the point.
1. My mum; after i had been to the vets twice with Hitley; she was like 'youve got to put those rabbits outside in a hutch, theyre rabbits for god sake; you should have just had babies that would have been less hassle'.
2. work colleague; 'dont forget its only a rabbit, dont spend any money on it especially if its expensive' and she has just had her dog pts which she was obviously very sad about, its so annoying because i prefer rabbits to cats and dogs so to me its the same as a cat or dog or any pet i would love and take care of.
GRRRRRRRRRRR

Sadly the world has promoted rabbits as cheap, disposible pets and that they have no personality which is terribly far from the truth :(

TBH I think we all encounter this type of thought process in others.
Here's my very snobbish take on it - there is subtlety & intelligence required to appreciate rabbits & some people will just never get it!
Thankfully there is RU for those who do! :lol:

They're still meat animals - even if someone doesn't like rabbit casserole, that's still "what they're for"... or they're a good animal for a child to practice on before they have a real pet. I can see why so many end up in rescues. To be honest, I wish the RSPCA would spend more money on educating the public as to the care and attention home animals need - everything from horses down to mice - rather than thowing money at banning foxhunting - which might not have been right but never resulted in the fox being kept in a small hutch in a dark, damp garage for 6 years.

I'd not encountered a pet rabbit before rescuing Muppette last year and I'm amazed by her personality and how much she will interact with me especially as she wasn't handled as a young bun. At some point in the future, when some of our cats have passed on, house rabbits it will be. I'm already planning how our next house will be rabbit proof downstairs in anticipation.

And I can't eat rabbit anymore which I'm rather sad about because I loved it.

So recently having a poorly bunny...
Hope your bun recovered well. :)

Last edited:
Having recently become bun owners I have been shocked at peoples attitude to rabbits as pets :( its such a shame...My mum is currently living with us (while she buys another house) and she says Poppy and Daisy are spoilt...its true that we started looking into rabbits becuase my eldest daughter (who is 5) wanted some pets to help look after...I knew that she wouldnt be able to care for them herself and so we spent about 6 months researching/thinking things through and now have our lovely poppy and daisy who we adore :) Im hoping to foster next year aswel :)

I think the people that have a bad attitude to pet rabbits are those that got them as a quick fix pet for kids and then got bored...the rabbit gets neglected/doesnt get enough excersize/the right diet etc etc...i think we all know someone like that :(

Sadly you always have the idiots that are too far up themselves to realise that animals are just as equal to humans they feel pain, have emotions, hurt and suffer just like us but for some people this is too difficult to understand.
It annoys me esp when pets are ill that they seem to compare it always down to money. If the nhs charged would they take their family members to the drs/hospital if they were ill? yes they would so why wouldn't you take your furry member?
I wrote a book to try and change peoples opinions 'not just a rabbit' which told the good, bad and ugly parts of having rabbits when people read it from work who thought rabbits were boring creatures they changed there opinion and still to this day ask what they are up to!
Once people steps into the lives of rabbits they see for themselves how amazing they are and are just as intelligent as a dog.cat or even us!
So you keep telling them that your rabbits are 'NOT JUST A RABBIT!' hop along and visit us and to read Winstons story its in the diary page! www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com

Oh and our vet bill for mainly Winston and Angel although Jack and Coco have now contributed probably £300 to it is... in 4 years of owning rabbits now at about £16,000! small things add up!

I totally agree with this. Dillon is our first rabbit and we're getting a girly for him in December. We've only had him since August and we've obviouslt had the usual vet trips with his neuter and vaccs and an encounter with a door on his paw. My partners brother says things like "are you going to the vets AGAIN with that rabbit" and it's "only a rabbit" he recently came round and looked after him which I didn't know about as my partners mum was meant to be doing it but couldn't get round. It's not just him who has this attitude. I find a lot of people who have this opinion have had rabbits years and years ago and tell me how vicious they were and grumpy. It doesn't help that most vets don't have a clue either. Was only thanks to RU that we found a vets we're happy with. I've always had cats and I find Dillon is just as sociable and loving as all our cats have been (little bit arrogant but thats just him!)

Back