• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch on neck now scabby...U/D pictures!

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
I am after some advice please.

My two indoor rabbits had a fight a few weeks ago and I thought that was why Finley had a bald patch on his neck - I assumed Emily had taken a chunk of fur when they had a fight. However, the patch of skin was smooth and perfect looking - just had no fur. Now this evening I have had another look and it has scabby patches on this bald patch.

Emily also has a scab on her neck but I originally thought this was from her vaccination. She was vaccinated in July but it still appears to be slightly scabby - however, alot clearer than it was.

Could this scabby patches on their necks be linked, or anybody ever had anything like this before?

Thanks

Tanya

Last edited:
Im wondering about some sort of mite??

If they had their vaccs,when were they given?? A reaction is normally a day or so after??
I didnt want to read and run.

Im wondering about some sort of mite??

If they had their vaccs,when were they given?? A reaction is normally a day or so after??
I didnt want to read and run.

Emily had her VHD (Lapinject) in July and Finley had VHD and myxi in July (the rescue had both vaccinations done at the same time).

Emily had her VHD (Lapinject) in July and Finley had VHD and myxi in July (the rescue had both vaccinations done at the same time).

Surely not a reaction still?? But there was a thread on here where it was but bunny was rather poorly.I take it both are well,eating and pooping normally??

Sorry it took so long....

back00.JPG

back01.JPG

back02.JPG

back05.JPG

back03.JPG

back04.JPG

Pebbles did have something like this as a reaction to an injection he had when he had his tumor removed, but it came up flaky about a week after the op, the scabbed over, dropped off a couple of weeks later and new hair grew back. So it is probably not related to vaccination - just co-incidental that it is in the same place. There was a similar thread some time ago, and I think it was mites that was the cause and not vaccination, so best get a vet to look and take a scraping to be sure.

Looks like mites to me :)

My guinea pig and rat used to suffer from mites all the time and the scabs were from constant itching/scratching.

A trip to the vets should sort it out, you can get an injection which will clear it up really quickly if it just mites.

Vet appointment finally booked! I rang the vet yesterday but didn't get a call from them until today...:roll:

I have Otis booked in for a vaccination tomorrow, so am going to take Emily and Finley too - how annoying that none of them are bonded so I am going to need three carriers. :lol:

Hello!

I went to the vets to collect my prescription for Emily and Finley today... but I had to sign a form as the medication isn't actually for rabbits.

The buns have been presrcibed 0.07ml panomec once evry 14 days. The vet is what I think to be the best vet in Gloucestershire - but I still worry about my babies!

Has anybody else used this spot -on? (it can be given orally but as they live alone they are going to have it like a spot on.)

Thanks

Tanya

Back