• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bad year of having ill rabbits

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Hi my name is Jack, im a new member on here. I am 14 years old and I currently have 3 rabbits, 2 lionheads and a rex :)

I just thought I would share some of the troubles I have had this year with my rabbits :( Until July I had 4 rabbits, all healthy and well, On July 15th my 11 year old albino netherland dwarf called snowy sadly passed away in my mum's arms. What with old age and heat he was really struggling and could not go on much longer :( I was so upset because I had him since I was 2 &half, i got him as a present because I had an operation, of course I did not clean him and my mum didnt leave me to care for my bunnies until I was old enough at around the age of 11/12, I know some upsetting stories of people leaving 9 year olds to care for pets (clean,feed) I think its okay for young children to have rabbits as long as they just get supervised play time/snuggle time and not be dumped with cleaning, as you know what children are like they would jut leave the poor bunny in inches of faeces.

Anyway getting back to my story.

I was left with 3 rabbits, my 4 year old brother and sister lionehads (lived together) and my 3 year old female rex, my lionheads lived together as my male flopsy is castrated. unfortuently my female lionhead was not cleaning her bum and she kept getting big clumps of poo stuck to her, we cut, cleaned and checked her everyday, we also bathed her regularly, we made sure no flys could get on her, sadly were were caught out by some nasty fly. i soon as i could see signs of flystrike we rushed her to the vets immediately, we spent nearly an hour there, they shaved her, bathed her, and got all the larvae and maggots out. She came home with bathing liquid, cream, baytril. Personally I think my vets could of gave her someting stronger. she stayed in for 3 nights along with her brother. on monday 8th august after 3 days of having flystrike she was looking ill again. my mum was crying already because she had already seen what my poor rabbit snowy was like before he died, very lethargic. I held my lovely bunny floella in my arms, stroking her as we drove through the long narrow country lanes, and she started fitting in my arms, It was so upsetting to see, she screamed and had her last breath, binky free floella, miss you so much :( xx Her brother flopsy was distraught, i showed him her body just to reasure him sadly she will never be back again :( he groomed her and then ran off. it was so horrible seeing him in a large 5ft double hutch all on his own, he pulled fur out and looked extremely down.

We had to get him a friend without a doubt, we searched for 2 days and eventually found a female lionhead in a local petstore (not pets at home, would never buy a pet there) and they bonded instantly, problem solved :D she is going to be spayed next year when old enough. pic below when we first introduce them :)

Also my female rex rabbit got spayed, she was an aggressive bunny but has turned out with a different character so friendly and its only been 3 weeks. ounce the other bunny is spayed next year i will bond her with my lionhead duo :)

However i have notice my rabbit flopsy has been very wary of me ever since loosing his sister, he thumps a lot when he see's me go to pick him up, does he blame me for the death of his sister floella?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you lost Snowy and Floella :( it's great that you have got new friends for the bunnies left behind though :)
Welcome to RU, it does become very addictive and you will learn a lot!! :wave:

So sorry to hear about your buns :( I don't think he can blame you for that, I'm sure buns don't think like that.

Did he used to be a thumpy bun before?

Hi Jack :wave: So sorry you lost Floella and Snowy :( I'm really not sure why Flopsy is thumping at you, but I would just take it slow with him and try to build up his trust again

Hello Jack,:wave:

You certainly have had a hard time with your bunnies, hopefully the sadness is behind you now.:(

It is so good to see how much responsibility for the bunnies care you have accepted at your age. Some bunnies take a little while to get over the loss of a bonded partner and we can't predict what they will do. I don't think Flopsy is blaming you for the death of his sister, he may still be a bit confused as to what is happening in his life so thumping and general nervousness may be his response until he settles to his new life. Have patience with him and let him settle at his own pace.

Binky free Snowy and Floella.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments :)

He didnt really use to thump before so its very odd now :S

Please could someone tell me how to upload photo's of your bunnies on here, I would really like to share pics of them on here, I got that photo bucked thing and the images are loading properly :( than you x

jackaroonie1997

Thank you everyone for the kind comments :)

He didnt really use to thump before so its very odd now :S

Please could someone tell me how to upload photo's of your bunnies on here, I would really like to share pics of them on here, I got that photo bucked thing and the images are loading properly :( than you x

jackaroonie1997

Photobucket is really slow, sometimes you have to wait ages while it uploads pics, but it gets there in the end if you're patient! :wave:

P1050007.jpg

Not sure wht it's not working...

You have to do it like this. But without the spaces. [ i m g ] image address here [ / i m g ]

There is a bit on photobucket that does it for you and you can just copy that. :wave:

Gorgeous bun!

P1050007.jpg

Not sure wht it's not working...

You have to do it like this. But without the spaces. [ i m g ] image address here [ / i m g ]

There is a bit on photobucket that does it for you and you can just copy that. :wave:

Gorgeous bun!

Thank you for your help and sharing my pic :D:thumb:

Back