• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blue tinged mouth and nose...Lily Shane

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
I know this isnt a good sign.:cry::cry:
It happened last night,and I saw it.Not sure if Ive seen it before.

*squishes tight*

Sadly it's not a surprise because her lung function is compromised.

How is she in herself?

Itis indicative of her not getting enough oxygen into her bloodstream. This could be due to pulmonary or cardiac insufficiency, or both :cry:

Fairly bright..eating little and occasional.
Snorting at times..no coughs....coming when called.....
Oh God!! I cant lose her!!!!!:cry:
Im cleaning them out at the moment....Ive come up for air!!!

I think you know that already she has far exceeded her life expectancy and that is down to your care. It will be painful for you when you know she is losing her battle, but it's important to remember that she isn't going to suffer, because you love her too much to let her suffer. Trust your Gut instinct.

If she is blue at the moment, is it worth calling the vet to see if some oxygen therapy might be an option?

Fairly bright..eating little and occasional.
Snorting at times..no coughs....coming when called.....
Oh God!! I cant lose her!!!!!:cry:
Im cleaning them out at the moment....Ive come up for air!!!

What meds is she on at the moment ?

Are her nostrils blocked with plugs of snot ?

Ive just spoken to Ian...hes rather concerned.Hes suggested a little metacam and baytril...just to see.Ive cleaned her nose....there was a little dried snot,
Shes not blue at the moment.Like I said Ive not seen it before,its not there now.Gonna watch her like a hawk.

There are meds that could potentially help her if what she is currently on isn't. Corvental is something we used with Badger, it's a brochodilator and might help her get more oxygen in. It helped Badger a lot (although obviously the problems are different).

The other thing that helped him, and it was his last chance saloon because we were talking about PTSing and had nothing to lose, was steroids- he had oral prednicare but there are other ways to give it (such as injectable and maybe even inhaled).

It might be worth discussing other types of medication with Ian at some point to see if there is anything else he can think of to try.

ETA- I meant to ask, is the issue her spine pressing her lungs, or a respiratory infection type issue? If it's the latter then steroids would be totally contraindicated more than normal. sorry if I have presumed it was her spine and it is an infection.

There are meds that could potentially help her if what she is currently on isn't. Corvental is something we used with Badger, it's a brochodilator and might help her get more oxygen in. It helped Badger a lot (although obviously the problems are different).

The other thing that helped him, and it was his last chance saloon because we were talking about PTSing and had nothing to lose, was steroids- he had oral prednicare but there are other ways to give it (such as injectable and maybe even inhaled).

It might be worth discussing other types of medication with Ian at some point to see if there is anything else he can think of to try.

ETA- I meant to ask, is the issue her spine pressing her lungs, or a respiratory infection type issue? If it's the latter then steroids would be totally contraindicated more than normal. sorry if I have presumed it was her spine and it is an infection.

Its more than likely both.

Rang Ian again....Bronchodilators wont help in Lilys case.Its her lung capacity causing the problem.
Im going to watch and chart anything else I see...due to see Ian again on the 14th.....maybe we will,maybe we wont.It was for weighing purposes.
I intend to fight for her to get to her 3rd birthday...this is the 21st of this month.
After that...its all down to her.

Im in this for the long haul.Please send vibes...not just for her, but for me too.Im praying my MH wont rear its ugly head.

Charting stuff is super important, so that's a good plan :) You might be able to work out a pattern, like if it's colder, if it's humid, etc.

I think you have to be careful with setting targets for her though because if she needs to be let go before then, then it might be harder for you, and also it's important to focus on what she needs, not what you want. Sorry if that sounds harsh, I couldn't think of a way to say it.

I think you need to take each day and each moment at a time and enjoy them with her. Make a lot of memories, take a lot of pictures.

She has already out lived everything that anyone can have expected and that's down to you. You've given her the world, a future, a present, you've given her happiness and love. The last and final gift you will give her is to let her go when she is ready. I don't doubt that.

I also think that you need to try not to worry about your mental health (easier said than done). If you worry about it, then it's more likely to be a factor. Just focus on Lily, focus on getting through each moment and deal with whatever arises, when and if it arises.

I really hope she makes her third birthday :)

Shes warm, shes comfy,shes eating little and drinking.She has her brother.
She tires easily,but is still bright.

bless your gorgeous bun. She doesn't sound too well at all, but of course have everything crossed for you.

Adding love, thoughts and hugs for both of you xxx

Charting stuff is super important, so that's a good plan :) You might be able to work out a pattern, like if it's colder, if it's humid, etc.

I think you have to be careful with setting targets for her though because if she needs to be let go before then, then it might be harder for you, and also it's important to focus on what she needs, not what you want. Sorry if that sounds harsh, I couldn't think of a way to say it.

I think you need to take each day and each moment at a time and enjoy them with her. Make a lot of memories, take a lot of pictures.

She has already out lived everything that anyone can have expected and that's down to you. You've given her the world, a future, a present, you've given her happiness and love. The last and final gift you will give her is to let her go when she is ready. I don't doubt that.

I also think that you need to try not to worry about your mental health (easier said than done). If you worry about it, then it's more likely to be a factor. Just focus on Lily, focus on getting through each moment and deal with whatever arises, when and if it arises.

I really hope she makes her third birthday :)

Completely agree with this especially the bit in bold. Its not important to Lily when her birthday is or how old she is, what matters to her is her quality of life hour by hour. As this is what is most important to Lily it is also what you need to focus on too, not long term goals :)

Thinking of you both x

Back