• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT : Cylap Burn UPDATE

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Some of you may have seen my thread from earlier. i took my rabbits to the vet for their VHD vaccine, and having been told they now use Lapinject, they gave them Cylap injections.

Now, one of them has a cylap burn, and guess who it is. Molly!!! That rabbit suffers so much in her life. The poor thing. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm taking her to the vet soon, but I want some info about treatments so I know what to do to make her better.

NSAID such as Metacam is a must for the pain and the inflammation.

Sometimes vets prescribe a topical treatment, but even bathing with water that has boiled and then cooled might be ok.

NSAID such as Metacam is a must for the pain and the inflammation.

Sometimes vets prescribe a topical treatment, but even bathing with water that has boiled and then cooled might be ok.

I was given metacam and a cream called vet gold. I don't know whether it helped as such as it didn't appear to heal it magically but it made me feel better that I was actually doing something to help.

Definitely Metacam.

Some Vets prescribe Fuciderm, but personally I would not want to use that on a VHD reaction as I have seen it make things much worse.

should the topical treatment have steriods in it or not? I'll definitely ask for metacam. I'm so angry and so upset. I shouldn't have to pay for any treatment, but I bet I will have to. :evil:

should she have any antibiotics? I've read that it can turn pussy and create holes. :cry:

Definitely Metacam.

Some Vets prescribe Fuciderm, but personally I would not want to use that on a VHD reaction as I have seen it make things much worse.

Yes, this was my thinking too because it's so new and fresh. We did use Fuciderm (which does have steroids in) on Badger's but it was 2 week after the actual jab and it really helped. I wouldn't have used it on something so fresh.

I would think that my vet would suggest just bathing it to start with (in addition to the pain relief) and then look to antibiotics if necessary, if that didn't work or it deteriorated.

would it be best not to have any topical treatment? I agree its very fresh and putting something on it may make it worse, but by not having antibiotics or topical treatment, I feel like I'm not doing anything (apart from pain relief).

It's quite big, about 1cm x 2cm, really red and angry with no hair, right at the site of the injection. I can't believe its only been 8 hours since the injection. Thankfully Milly isn't showing any sign of a burn (yet) but I'm keeping a very close eye on her.

ETA: sorry, just saw that you said bathing it with water would be good. Should i use hibiscrub or salt water or just cooled boiled water?

would it be best not to have any topical treatment? I agree its very fresh and putting something on it may make it worse, but by not having antibiotics or topical treatment, I feel like I'm not doing anything (apart from pain relief).

It's quite big, about 1cm x 2cm, really red and angry with no hair, right at the site of the injection. I can't believe its only been 8 hours since the injection. Thankfully Milly isn't showing any sign of a burn (yet) but I'm keeping a very close eye on her.

ETA: sorry, just saw that you said bathing it with water would be good. Should i use hibiscrub or salt water or just cooled boiled water?

Sometimes doing 'nothing' is the best thing you can do :) Sometimes doing too much, or the wrong things, can be far less productive.

I don't know for sure what my vet would suggest in this situation, but my hunch is that he would start with saline solution because we used only saline solution on a far worse wound than a Cylap burn, but you need to discuss it with your vet because they can fully examine the wound and suggest what they think is best.

Sometimes doing 'nothing' is the best thing you can do :) Sometimes doing too much, or the wrong things, can be far less productive.

I don't know for sure what my vet would suggest in this situation, but my hunch is that he would start with saline solution because we used only saline solution on a far worse wound than a Cylap burn, but you need to discuss it with your vet because they can fully examine the wound and suggest what they think is best.

thank you. I don't know if I can trust the vet anymore. They have done this to my rabbit, so I don't think I can trust any treatment they offer (which is why I'm asking you guys).

I understand that completely. It was after 4 of mine had Cylap issues of various severities that I switched vets, to be honest. I don't know enough to categorically say which is best, sorry.

Scamp had metacam and antibiotics as the area was quite big and skin was dying off. At first he had a red sore patch that looked like a burn which turned into a scab as the skin died. He had a further area on his chest underneath where it presumably had run down his side and pooled. He was under the weather for a week and then it took a couple more to heal.

Make sure its reported to the manufacturers.

That's appalling that they told you they used Lapinject and in fact used Cylap! As Tamsin says it is very important they they report it to Pfizer (Cylap manufacturer) and you absolutely should not have to pay, I would be asking for the money spent on the vaccines to be refunded as well, as they told you that they used Lapinject and then used Cylap without checking that you were happy to have your rabbits injected with a vaccine that is known to cause side effects!

With mine they were on Fuciderm for a few days and a course of Baytril as my vet was very concerned about the possibility of an infection setting in, you have probably seen my report already to give you an idea of how the scabs looked/changed etc but here's the link if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.englishrabbit.org.uk/cylapreport.pdf

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for Molly

Last edited:
Went to the vets and they were very sorry and we didn't have to pay for a consult or anything.

She's on metacam. How long should I keep her on for? I'll take a picture tomorrow to see what you all think about it. So is it good if it scabs? She's really bright and alert and eating too. Milly is the one who's stressed out (she hates going to the vet, I take her with Molly to keep Molly company, but I'm wondering whether to leave Milly at home, because she gets more stressed than Molly and nothing usually happens to her anyway?).

That's appalling that they told you they used Lapinject and in fact used Cylap! As Tamsin says it is very important they they report it to Pfizer (Cylap manufacturer) and you absolutely should not have to pay, I would be asking for the money spent on the vaccines to be refunded as well, as they told you that they used Lapinject and then used Cylap without checking that you were happy to have your rabbits injected with a vaccine that is know to cause side effects!

With mine they were on Fuciderm for a few days and a course of Baytril as my vet was very concerned about the possibility of an infection setting in, you have probably seen my report already to give you an idea of how the scabs looked/changed etc but here's the link if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.englishrabbit.org.uk/cylapreport.pdf

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for Molly

thanks. I saw your report a while back, and thought I'd never let my rabbits have Cylap again, and look what I've done now. :cry: My poor girlies.

Apparently, the vets had both Lapinject and Cylap and were just using up the stock of Cylap. :roll: It should be banned IMO.

thanks. I saw your report a while back, and thought I'd never let my rabbits have Cylap again, and look what I've done now. :cry: My poor girlies.

Apparently, the vets had both Lapinject and Cylap and were just using up the stock of Cylap. :roll: It should be banned IMO.

Absolutely agree, now that there are two alternatives I can't understand why it is still so widely used by vets!

This is what Scamp's looked like initially then the purple looking shadow/section in the middle turned to a scab (I presume they are where the flesh underneath died)

IMG_2541b.jpg

Gosh! I dont have any advice but I am so shocked at that picture Tamsin, and of the ones in that link fionaw. I thought cylap just caused scabs or a sore area, a limp or off their food maybe. Didnt realise it could be so serious! Barney has had 2 cylaps now with just a small scab and after the first one he kept flicking his front leg, but Annabelle has never had it so I think I will definately ask my vet to order in Lapinjet or Anivac. Thank you for making me aware!

Lionheadluver - I hope Molly feels better soon.

oh my gosh, Tamsin, that looks terrible. :cry: Molly's is nowhere near that bad. I feel stupid now for getting so worked up, but I do worry about her terribly. :oops:

It's small in comparsion to Scamp's burn, and is just very red and angry looking.

It might be worth contacting the RCVS and requesting that they ask vets to stop using this vaccine. There is absolutely no reason to use it as there is a perfectly safe alternative in Anivac. Its active ingredient is not contained in mineral oil which is suspected to be causing all the problems.

To inject the animal with Cylap to use up stocks when you had specifically asked for Lapinject, is in my view, completely unprofessional and I would be reporting the vet practice for this. It is inexcusable.

Back