• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tear Ducts

whitehood

Warren Veteran
Lucky's tear ducts were blocked, my vet gave me Tiacil to drop once in both eyes twice daily, the Tiacil would travel to the nose from the eyes.
I haven't heard him sneeze at all since I stopped giving the Tiacil [5 days]

But if he starts sneezing again what could be advisable to give to clear his nose passage way?

Tear duct flush by the vet?

Nebulisation?

Stronger abx?

Did you ever have the C&S done?

I didn't have the C&S test done because my vet thought it wasn't snuffles and thought it was teeth problems.
When checking his teeth he needed a dental so we had that done, then he started sneezing again so my vet tested to see if his tear ducts were blocked.

The Tiacil was given to clear the tear ducts as they were blocked that prevented the dye inserted into his eye not coming out.

What's flushing ?

I didn't have the C&S test done because my vet thought it wasn't snuffles and thought it was teeth problems.
When checking his teeth he needed a dental so we had that done, then he started sneezing again so my vet tested to see if his tear ducts were blocked.

The Tiacil was given to clear the tear ducts as they were blocked that prevented the dye inserted into his eye not coming out.

What's flushing ?

Okay, so if the vet thought it was teeth problems, have yuo had xrays done to confirm/dismay this? That'd confirm whether you needed to keep trying different treatments or if it's something you'll have to live with and just keep him comfortable.

Just as an example, Ginger can't have her tear ducts flushed, as the entrance to her tear ducts are deformed and instead of little holes, she has tiny little tissue masses instead, which makes life interesting.

The flushing is when they put a tiny little needle into the tear duct and flush it through with liquid (normally sterile water) pushing any nasty horrible gunky stuff out.

I too think I would flush the tearducts and also get a skull x-ray too, to be honest.

A tear duct flush involves sort of rinsing out the tear ducts to remove any material in there that is clogging them up (they managed to get a long white worm-like length of pussy stuff out of my Star's tear duct a few years ago :lol: my vet marvelled at it for ages).

I haven't had x rays done either, but if he sneezes again I'll have to mention x rays to my vets.
Does flushing once solve sneezing problems ?

I too think I would flush the tearducts and also get a skull x-ray too, to be honest.

A tear duct flush involves sort of rinsing out the tear ducts to remove any material in there that is clogging them up (they managed to get a long white worm-like length of pussy stuff out of my Star's tear duct a few years ago :lol: my vet marvelled at it for ages).

Thanks, did the flushing solve Star's tear duct problem ? Did Star used to sneeze?

Last edited:
Back