• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter trays

i only use hay and newspaper. but you could use megazorb or carefresh too.im using carefresh for my hamster and its great stuff. megasorb is cheaper though.

I used to use sawdust, I now use newspaper in the bottom with hay on top. Seems to work great as they like to eat the hay whilst pooping!!!:lol:

i use sawdust at the mo in my litter trays but want to change it,whats the best thing to use in them?:thumb:

i use to use sawdust but i found it just made scooters sneezing worse. i wud definately recommended carefresh i tried it for a short time but i wud agree that megazorb is one of the best and its quite cheap. :D

i use to use sawdust but i found it just made scooters sneezing worse. i wud definately recommended carefresh i tried it for a short time but i wud agree that megazorb is one of the best and its quite cheap. :D

where do you get these products from?

carefresh can be bought in most pet shops - megazorb can be bought from equestrian suppliers or farm shops etc.

I just use newspaper and hay (and change daily) but when i did use carefresh, it seemed to make things seem fresher for longer.

where do you get these products from?

yea u can also get carefresh from pets at home shops but its not cheap and it does make everything a bit more fresher. u can also get megazorb from the hay experts site which i recommened to although if ur getting megazorb and u need something else it wud probably be just as cheaper to order that at the same time too. :D

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays%2C+Grasses+%252526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Meadow+Hay.22/Pure+Pastures+Meadow+Hay+%3A+Maxi.643.html?osCsid=aoarh1goak9e6b1flc1m97hbq5

cant use newspaper they like to eat it and the sawdust even though they have 6 different hays!

i had the same problem to scooter loves newspaper and i did find that hiding it under they hay for a short time did work but in the end he was to smart and i woke up one morning to find his cage a wreck.

u cud also use wood cat litter althoug its not as good as carefresh or megazorb but it wud do the trick. but its not normally cheap and u do have to change it more often. :)

I've used lots of things in the past but I think I'm sticking with cardboard on the bottom with cheap hay on top.

Other than that, I found aubiose to be the best thing personally.

cant use newspaper they like to eat it and the sawdust even though they have 6 different hays!

How much hay do you put on top? I find a couple of newspapers and a thick layer of hay works brilliantly and they are far too busy foraging through the yummy hay to bother to dig to and then chew the newspaper.

I used to use wood pellets and newspaper with hay on top but we went to a farmway store today and got some megazorb while it's on special, just cleaned out his tray and put some in so will see how he goes with that as it's much cheaper and we only used a thin layer under lots of newspaper.

I used to use wood pellets and newspaper with hay on top but we went to a farmway store today and got some megazorb while it's on special, just cleaned out his tray and put some in so will see how he goes with that as it's much cheaper and we only used a thin layer under lots of newspaper.

its good stuff i dont see me changing him onto anything else when this is working out a lot better. i did use to only have to clean his litter trays once a week but lately ive had to do it a bit more cause hes taken to sleeping in them lately which i dont think is a good idea but scooter disagrees :D

Im using a layer of newspaper and then megazorb topped off with hay...I have just switched the litter trays for underbed storage as the corner litter trays are a nightmare with my girls...they just tip them straight over :roll:

I use an old school drawer for my litter tray as the boys used to knock over their light weight one. At the moment I use newspaper at the bottom, covered with a bit of sawdust and then hay. But I'd like to know something that works better?? The poop is fine, it's just they seem to wee an awful lot and newspaper just gets soggy and sticks to bottom of drawer. Seems such a waste to clear out the hay from the litter tray every day, would ideally like to leave it a couple of days, but just gets bit too full!

I take out the hay and bin the megazorb and paper (I do bin any wet/soiled hay) but I put any clean hay back in with some fresh ontop for eating :)

Back