• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxo vacc only 6 monthly if 'high risk'?

nessar

Warren Veteran
Took Barney for his myxo booster today and I saw a temporary vet, from talking to her it seems she is fairly newly qualified and working there whilst she waits for her new job to start. The usual vet came in and she asked him how often the vaccination should be given, and he said '12 months but 6 months if its high-risk' then turned to me and said 'is your rabbit high risk?' smiling, as he thinks I'm bit of a hypochondriact with the buns because I'm always whisking them down there at the smallest symtom and I'm always pushing for more diagnostics or painkillers. I just said no but I that like to be safe.

In fact he is probably low risk , but for the sake of an extra £12 a year per bun I'd rather be safe than sorry, but I'm wondering now if I have been being overcautious, and whether over-vaccinating had disadvantages? Does anyone's vet RECCOMMEND 6 monthly vaccinating for indoor buns? Does anyone's not reccommend it?

Also, this new vet injected into the base of the ear, but not the scruff as well, anyone had this before?

My vets recommend 6-monthly jabs knowing that he's an indoor bun and only goes outside when it's for a trip to the vet in the car!

I think some vets do the small amount into the scruff of the neck, and others do it into the base of the ear. I know my bun has had it both ways the times he's had it done.

My vet says every 6 months, for both indoor and outdoor and all my bunnies have it six monthly.

The product Data sheet says

The intradermal injection is best administered in the relatively thick skin on the dorsal aspect at the base of the ear, using a 25g x 5/8″ needle and may be achieved by partial needle withdrawal following the subcutaneous injection. Alternatively, the subcutaneous injection can be given at a more commonly used site e.g. in the scruff of the neck.

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.aspx

i once saw a temporary vet who said 12 months is fine, but my usual vet always says 6 monthly. My bunnies live outdoors though, but we are in a built up area, so no wild rabbits here. There are foxes nearby though.

see it was only in the base of the ear, nowhere else :? thats what confused me. No 'subcutaneous' bit.

I'm with you, and I think for the relatively low cost, they're better off being covered.
My vet recommends every 6 months anyway, and we get reminders every 6 months for them. It's also a good excuse to get a health check done on them I think.

see it was only in the base of the ear, nowhere else :? thats what confused me. No 'subcutaneous' bit.

So, for clarity, did she inject any in his scruff and then some in the base of his ear? (or vice versa)

Then I would be contacting your regular vet and asking what is best to do :? Not good :(

They may have done them both in one go, by putting the needle in, injecting, then pulling out and injecting the rest?

E.g. "The intradermal injection is best administered in the relatively thick skin on the dorsal aspect at the base of the ear, using a 25g x 5/8″ needle and may be achieved by partial needle withdrawal following the subcutaneous injection."

The whole injection can be given into the ear, according to the datasheet Sky-O linked to. Is it possible the intradermal and subcutaneous parts were both given one after the other, both into the ear?

They may have done them both in one go, by putting the needle in, injecting, then pulling out and injecting the rest?

E.g. "The intradermal injection is best administered in the relatively thick skin on the dorsal aspect at the base of the ear, using a 25g x 5/8″ needle and may be achieved by partial needle withdrawal following the subcutaneous injection."

That's what I was trying to say. :thumb:

:lol::lol: It's quite confusing, I must admit. :oops:

:lol: I knew I'd read it somewhere before! The wording is confusing though!

May be worth giving your vets a ring and asking if that's what they've done, just for peace of mind?

Hmm maybe that is what she did, I wondered whether it was a fancy new trick from vet school that my normal vet didnt know. Seeing as we're coming out of myxi season now and he's partially protected by his old one, I might just leave it till we next have to go to the vets and ask the normal ones then, as we'll probably have to go back in the next month for a dental anyway. I hope she did it right :?

That is how my vet usually does it, she puts it in does the jab, then pulls it partly out and gives the rest.

My vets recommend 6 monthly, whether for indoor or outdoor buns.

If you live in an area where there are lots of wild rabbits or near stagnant water areas where mosquitos are likely to breed then you definitely need to vaccinate every 6 months for myxo

If however you live in an area with no wild rabbits, no stagnant water and hardly any reported cases of myxo you can get away with every 12 months for myxo

If myxomatosis suddenly breaks out in your area and you only vaccinate once a year your rabbit will be at a higher risk so it is safer to opt for 6 monthly vaccinations to be on the safe side

Our vets vaccinate mixi 6 monthly as we are in a high risk area. Our foster carers bunnies also have 6 monthly vaccinations for mixi just to be upto date and safe. They are not neccesary in high risk areas.

Back