• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BIG HELP PLEASE - cable protection from Mr Bennett's mouth.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Woke up to find Mr Bennett had chewed through 3 layers of cable protection on one the heaters cable, yes -3 layers. I really thought it was well and truely protected.

It is the black coiled heavy duty plastic cable protection I have on most of our cables and wires now. Obviously not bunny proof at all.

Now I don't really care if he chews carpet and the bottom of the wardrobe but cables are dangerous and expensive.

Worried now. What can I get that is better ?

I personally just use puppy pen panels (as anyone who has been in my living room knows :lol:) to block off any areas I don't want them going, so I don't worry about the individual wires, just prevent them from going places with wires. Is that feasible?

I personally just use puppy pen panels (as anyone who has been in my living room knows :lol:) to block off any areas I don't want them going, so I don't worry about the individual wires, just prevent them from going places with wires. Is that feasible?

I don't know. When I use barriers he chews all around it. Hence the chewed wardrobe doors and the skirting part underneath.

When Mr Bennett wants something, he is determined. I now have a completely wreaked pair of shoes stuffed up the side of the wardrobe to prevent him getting behind them, but every day he pulls and tugs at those shoes, and the skirting and the carpet.

He is fine in the second bedroom as there is no wardrobe or interesting holes to get into. Only thing is the one heater cable. Fine if the door is kept tight against the heater. He did chew the rubber door stops so now I have one of my sons weights against the door, but James seems to forget to keep the weight there.

Ooops, naughty Mr Bennett!

Could you cut some pieces of wood at all to make some kind of trunking / box around the wires?

For the cables on my heaters I have used hose pipe because it seemed tougher to me than the cable tidies I had (but not sure what yours are like). I cut a slit in it with scissors, put it in place then covered the whole thing with strong tape to ensure it couldn't be pulled off.

Mine haven't touched it (could be famous last words, wait until I go home tonight), but it does seem quite sturdy.

If they did touch it the heater isn't switched on so they should be fine (just thought I'd add that :lol:).

Ooops, naughty Mr Bennett!

Could you cut some pieces of wood at all to make some kind of trunking / box around the wires?

A very good idea. If only I could borrow Ali for a week. James is not the best at DIY.

Took us 2 hours to put up 2 shelves in the chinnies hutch. He even managed to wear down 2 drill heads, in a few seconds.

The only way would be to get someone in.

This is a steel channel for cables.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...<{9792022}/specificationsProductType=trunking

I also noticed the last ine I was in that there are self adhesive white, wood and black channels that you pop the cables inside then stick the channel on top of the skirting board.

http://search.diy.com/search#?p=KK&...isort=score&view=grid&w=Cable Management&rk=1

Unfortunately when Sunshine chewed through it the only thing the electrican could do was cut the cable and join it with something and connect a clear little plastic box as the end of it goes into the skirting board. The way most of them in the house are fitted is in part sections. That doesn't make real sense, but basically I couldn't use anything straight. How I wish we had gas.

For the cables on my heaters I have used hose pipe because it seemed tougher to me than the cable tidies I had (but not sure what yours are like). I cut a slit in it with scissors, put it in place then covered the whole thing with strong tape to ensure it couldn't be pulled off.

Mine haven't touched it (could be famous last words, wait until I go home tonight), but it does seem quite sturdy.

If they did touch it the heater isn't switched on so they should be fine (just thought I'd add that :lol:).

Thanks, I will look at hoses on ebay. I still wouldn't trust him though.

god thats really bad :shock: im glad scooter doesnt think much of although he does have a thing for my ps2 cables and my lamp but i just foudn that rapping them in just a cable protector did it. i hope u find some way of sorting it out.

unfortunately scooter might not have a thing for cables but he does for carpets and my newly painted walls. :roll:

A very good idea. If only I could borrow Ali for a week. James is not the best at DIY.

Took us 2 hours to put up 2 shelves in the chinnies hutch. He even managed to wear down 2 drill heads, in a few seconds.

The only way would be to get someone in.

I'm not sure I would know what to do either. :oops:

god thats really bad :shock: im glad scooter doesnt think much of although he does have a thing for my ps2 cables and my lamp but i just foudn that rapping them in just a cable protector did it. i hope u find some way of sorting it out.

unfortunately scooter might not have a thing for cables but he does for carpets and my newly painted walls. :roll:

Thanks.

No problems with my girl, she has never chewed a thing.

Mr Bennett has had a go at the carpet too and the built in wardrobe. Some bunnies just love cables and he is one of them. He has done more in a few weeks than my other 3 bunnies have done in 3 years, being inside.

I use cable protectors and then the mesh NIC panels to block them off too, this way they can't physically get to them and if for any reason the panels get moved (has happened once in the lionheads room) the cable protection gives a little protection until I notice.

Back