• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cylap Injection by Mistake

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
:shock::shock::shock:

Took the girls for their VHD injection, thinking that they had changed all their VHD stock over to Lapinject (they had told me this), so didn't question which VHD injection they were using. And then looked at the card, and they had given them a Cylap injection. :shock::shock::shock:

I am so angry, they had told me that they were using Lapinject, so why were they using Cylap? The girls have had Cylap injections before and never had any reactions, but I am really worried. If Molly gets a burn from the Cylap, she probably wouldn't survive because her immune system isn't strong enough. :cry: (we decided to give her the VHD injection because she is in a good place right now with her hocks, but her immune system is always weak.)

:shock::evil:eek:h no! Im so very sorry...I do hope you complained. I do hope they are ok...:)

Last edited:
Oh how annoying for you! I wouldn't worry too much, it was only a couple of years ago that cylap was the only VHD vaccination available, and while there have always been a few known side effects, most of us vaccinated our rabbits anyway. In a warped kind of way, you might find that cylap is better for Molly, because it takes 21 days for immunity to develop, whereas lapinject takes 6. It might just be ignorance of the mechanisms of immunology on my part, but it strikes me that if it takes longer for immunity to develop, it's a bit gentler on the immune system rather than a hard and fast hit which causes immunity to develop quickly, if you see what I mean?

I'm sure you'll be keeping a close eye on them anyway, but fingers crossed all will be well and I'm sure you'll double check with the vet next year!

Oh how annoying for you! I wouldn't worry too much, it was only a couple of years ago that cylap was the only VHD vaccination available, and while there have always been a few known side effects, most of us vaccinated our rabbits anyway. In a warped kind of way, you might find that cylap is better for Molly, because it takes 21 days for immunity to develop, whereas lapinject takes 6. It might just be ignorance of the mechanisms of immunology on my part, but it strikes me that if it takes longer for immunity to develop, it's a bit gentler on the immune system rather than a hard and fast hit which causes immunity to develop quickly, if you see what I mean?

I'm sure you'll be keeping a close eye on them anyway, but fingers crossed all will be well and I'm sure you'll double check with the vet next year!

thank you. I didn't realise about how long it takes for immunity to develop. and I understand that it was used for ages without too much worry, so probably shouldn't be too concerned now. how long does it take to see any side effects? (ie when I can relax? :oops:).

Spenser has had cylap twice. He was only a little off colour the first time, and showed no side effects this year when he had his booster. Hope your girls are fine. :wave:

Side effects such as a limp, a fever, anorexia/gut stasis can develop within 24-48 hours

Skin reactions may not start for a few days.

Back