• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

En Masse trip to the vets

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I've been to the vets with Wish, Flame and Autumn this morning. Wish and Flame have known problems and needed some adjustment for their treatment regimes (including things like researching into, and then using Tramadol for both, a Metacam increase and also, for Flame, potentially x-rays if the Metacam increase doesn't help).

For Autumn, however, I took him and explained about his acute pain episodes (but nothing has been able to be found previously), that he hasn't been right and then mentioned a couple of other things that have concerned me but I didn't know what was wrong. She gave him a good going over and it looks like his kidneys (his right one in particular) are the problems and are causing him pain :(

So he is going in on Friday to have the works done to see if we can find out what is going on. He had his first acute pain episode at about 9 months old and we are now 18 months down the road. Not looking too good for my boy :(

Ih no, i hope its nothing to serious. Sending vibes for all the bunnies. I hope their health improves

and now I feel completely horrible because I just stepped on Wish's back left paw :( I have no idea what she was doing where she was because she had been eating and they NEVER leave the food until it's gone, apart from this morning :( I turned around and stepped on her and didn't realise right away and she tried to run and her foot was under mine :cry:

But, she isn't limping and she is eating. She obviously doesn't want me touching her foot and is hiding from me but pottering when I'm not nearby so not sure yet what to do about it (she is already on high whack Metacam daily for her teeth).

Poor wish :( Not a good Monday for them.

Mega vibes for Autumn on Friday. Hope Wish and Flame respond well to the meds.

I didn't know tramadol could be given to animals. Although I am learning alot of human medication can be given to furries.

oh hun...I do hope they can all be sorted to some degree...blesslittle Wish...Im sure she will beok...maybe gie her some willow to chew on...an extra little it of pain killer.:?

I heard a documentary piece on Neals Yard the other day about how Jerusalem Artichokes can help with Kidneys.....perhaps it might help Autumn....:?

Have a read here too:
http://idosi.org/aejaes/jaes5(5)/15.pdf

Im not sure if this would be of any help..I now its for humans...but still...:?
http://www.health-science-spirit.com/kidney.html

The neals Yard link:
http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/featured-videos/?tubepress_video=XeXj5xdb2Qg&tubepress_page=1

Last edited:
Lots and lots of vibes for the lot of them and a *squidge* for you

I'm sure Wish will probably just be annoyed at you for a while and be fine - they do like to get in and under our feet when walking around eh? Trust her to break routine today of all days!

Hope the research helps with the pair of them.

As for Autumn, hopefully some additional investigations will prove fruitful for you and give you a plan of action for him - is kidney removal a possibility perhaps for him? Poor little big man. Give him a noserub from us.

Thanks guys. Chelle, I'll have a read. thankfully he likes to eat random things. Does anyone know off the top of ther head if bunnies can eat those artichokes? And also how on earth you feed them to them? like which bits? :lol: I find artichokes fascinating but also confusing *pats my little brain*

Wish seems ok. I've been out and just come back and had a good old press and manipulate of her foot and nothing there is causing pain (i.e. no wriggling, no reaction at all from her to indicate anything was causing her major pain), so I'm going to just keep an eye on her, but I did bring out the big guns and give her a craisin because I felt so bad.

Not sure Gray, about Autumn and his kidney. It depends what it is and how the function in them both are(i.e. congenital, kindey/bladder stones, etc). Not sure how to change his diet either unless the protexin pro fibre pellets are really high in calcium, but I'm sure you would already be seeing those sorts of problems in Ginger if they were and may cause problems.

Thanks guys. Chelle, I'll have a read. thankfully he likes to eat random things. Does anyone know off the top of ther head if bunnies can eat those artichokes? And also how on earth you feed them to them? like which bits? :lol: I find artichokes fascinating but also confusing *pats my little brain*

Wish seems ok. I've been out and just come back and had a good old press and manipulate of her foot and nothing there is causing pain (i.e. no wriggling, no reaction at all from her to indicate anything was causing her major pain), so I'm going to just keep an eye on her, but I did bring out the big guns and give her a craisin because I felt so bad.

Not sure Gray, about Autumn and his kidney. It depends what it is and how the function in them both are(i.e. congenital, kindey/bladder stones, etc). Not sure how to change his diet either unless the protexin pro fibre pellets are really high in calcium, but I'm sure you would already be seeing those sorts of problems in Ginger if they were and may cause problems.

Glad to hear Wish's paw is okay :thumb: The big guns really did come out! :shock: :)

I doubt they are high calcium, but i guess its possible - i'll go find my tub as soon as i find it (i was tidying :roll:) - as you say, i'm sure i'd see problems with Ginger if they were. I guess if it is a kind of stone, that could be something you could work on, via an op? (afraid my knowledge just isn't great on things like that!).

Keep us informed on that if you would :)

Mine doesn't mention calcium. Just protein, some fibres, oils and fats, ash and sodium. So doesn't look high in calcium.

Be interesting to see what we can see.

Mine doesn't mention calcium. Just protein, some fibres, oils and fats, ash and sodium. So doesn't look high in calcium.

Be interesting to see what we can see.

Mine neither and this is from the protexin site, nothing i see that i recognise as high in calcium;

Ingredients:
Wheatfeed, Soya hulls, Oatfeed, Wheatbran, Grass meal, Sugar beet pulp, Yeast, Linseed, Cellulose, Preplex prebiotic (FOS & gum acacia), Dandelion flavouring.

Note the flavouring, now i know why they go nuts for it :lol:

(Source: http://www.protexin.com/products/pro-fibre-for-rabbits/32)

It smells like apple to me though :lol:

Well, that's something, although it does mean if I need to do something about the calcium, there is little I can do because his diet is those and hay predominantly. I'm jumping the gun a bit, so I should really wait and see what they find.

It smells like apple to me though :lol:

Well, that's something, although it does mean if I need to do something about the calcium, there is little I can do because his diet is those and hay predominantly. I'm jumping the gun a bit, so I should really wait and see what they find.

Apple? Nutcase :lol:

When will you hear back after friday, a few days maybe?

On Friday, I would expect (hope?) :D Hopefully they will show me the x-rays too. They have an in house lab for blood tests so that can be done (if they decide to do them, first and foremost they are going to start with the x-ray).

On Friday, I would expect (hope?) :D Hopefully they will show me the x-rays too. They have an in house lab for blood tests so that can be done (if they decide to do them, first and foremost they are going to start with the x-ray).

Sorry, i have bunny brain on and kept thinking 'bloods' not 'xrays' :roll:

Hope you get some answers :)

I was mugged.

I went into my room and Wish and Flamey come over for strokes so I stroke them both a bit but then focus on Wish and tell her I'm sorry and she gives me tooth purrs, and then Flame mugs me of the polos in my hand! He only makes off with some silver foil though (which I retrieved).

THEN, I get the pellets down to give one to each of them and as I get one out to give to Wish, Flame just sticks his head in the tub to nom away, and then when I go to give a pellet to all the other bunnies in the room, I look down and there is Autumn stealing pellets.

Not feeling too bad then, whatever their physical conditions are!

Back