• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Over Grooming

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
Holly (5 years old) and Jasper (9 years old) are both mini lops and have been together for the last four years.

Approx. 6 weeks I discovered that Holly had a wound under her neck. The vet didn't think it could be Jasper due to the positioning. However Holly had had a similar wound about two years ago. There is nothing sharp in their run or hutch. The vet gave Holly antibotics and metacam.

I groom Holly a few times a week as her fur is always very messy. I've been away for the weekend and my brother has looked after them. Tonight I've come home to find a large wet patch of fur on Holly's side which is very red and sore. I've applied some Sudocrem to the area. I've also separated Holly from Jasper as I can't risk anymore over grooming. I just don't know what to do for the best:(

Please help;)

Are you sure it's him and not her?

Could he be a 'nurse bunny' and be identifying a problem before you're aware and trying to fix it?

Also keep an eye on the areas that you think he has been overgrooming. I personally have only ever seen overgrooming with a known issue or where there has been an unidentified issue (I've seen it a few times with a rabbit having kidney problems and the otther bunny knowing so grooming that part of the back/sides).

Also keep an eye on the areas that you think he has been overgrooming. I personally have only ever seen overgrooming with a known issue or where there has been an unidentified issue (I've seen it a few times with a rabbit having kidney problems and the otther bunny knowing so grooming that part of the back/sides).

exactly this!!!!

I took Holly to the vets this evening to have her skin checked. It turns out that Holly has been over grooming herself due to another wound which has started to heal but is very red and sore. I don't understand how I hadn't already noticed it:cry:

The vet has prescribed Fuciderm gel to be applied twice a day. The vet stated that the wound was definitely caused by teeth. I've was advised to keep Holly indoors for the winter and to keep her separate from Jasper:cry::cry:

Bless her. Do you know what caused the initial wound? Do you know why she is doing this?

Is there a possibility of bringing Jasper in as well and having them next to each other?

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

The vet I saw last night who is rabbit savvy thought that both wounds were caused by Jasper.

I can't bring Jasper in as I only live in a flat. At night Holly has got free range of the hall, the cats are in lounge and I can't sleep with animals in my bedroom.

I'm going to keep Holly inside over winter. I'll let her recover before I decide whether to rebond them and keep them both indoors (difficult with limited neutral space) or keep them single.

Back