• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Donny's hutch is finished!

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Will be home next weekend and the run will be made :D

387675_2629213490066_1247194459_33057795_961500006_n.jpg

Loooks great. Can i be a pain though. Is that chicken wire? Is the hutch going outside?

Loooks great. Can i be a pain though. Is that chicken wire? Is the hutch going outside?

Yeah it is lol :) we were going to get the small square mesh but we couldn't get enough without spending nearly £100 on it because of how big the run will be :? The hutch will be outside but where we live we don't get any predators at all, otherwise I would have bought the expensive mesh. I'm going to get my dad to find some mesh from work or see if he can get some of the small stuff for the run, otherwise we might double it up just in case. Out garden is safe but when me and James move out it might not be as safe so will have to cross that bridge when we come to it :)

Also we have a piece of wood to go along the bottom of the hutch just in case Donny wants to try and make a break for it lol.

Unfortunately the first you might know about a predator is when it might be too late. I believe that rabbits teeth can also get throuh chicken wire but I'm not entirely sure about that. Have you tried screwfix? I think they did some cheap galvanised mesh.

my rabbits will just eat through chicken wire like that - you NEED the stronger stuff - its really not that dear - you can buy it in panels that are just big enough for something like that door - about £10 max.

PS I dont mean this at all rudely - but if you are in a fox free area of the country then it is the ONLY one (apart from some remote Sottish islands) there simply ISNT a predator free area.

Great hutch!! How big is it? I bought a roll of mesh from my local agricultural merchants. It has small rectangle holes and the bunnies havnt chewed through it. I think it only cost about £20 ish. :)

I agree with the others I'm afraid, even if you don't have predators around, rabbits can chew through chicken wire - I've watched one do it :shock: You may be able to get galvanised mesh off ebay, which might save you a bit :):wave:

It looks like a lovely sized hutch though :)

Last edited:
That looks brilliant but I'm afraid I'll have to mention the mesh too, even if you don't have predators (which you could well do, I've never seen a fox in my life yet they've been here since I was born) rabbits can chew through chicken wire, my first rabbit chewed out of its chicken wire hutch in one night, luckily we found him

Back