• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost my boy, girl now alone.... Permanent fostering? other solutions?

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
Please bear with me, i'm not in the best frame of mind at the moment. I had to have one of my rabbits, Simon, pts today. He's been back and forth to the vets since Friday (not my normal vet unfortunately) and I feel it was the right decision.

His partner Willow is now left on her own. She is now indoors for the winter as she's been indoors with Simon all weekend. Unfortunately she is not a people rabbit, I've had her for over 4 years and she's much better than when she came to me but she tolerates me rather than enjoying my company.

I don't know what to do. She can't bond with my group or my pair, I can't afford to take on another rabbit, she doesn't like people so having her as a house rabbit with our company being enough isn't an option, and I've never rehomed an animal in my life.

I've gone from worrying about Simon to worrying about Willow. I guess it's part of how I cope. Planning ahead seems to help.

Would a rescue possibly consider a permanent foster arrangement for a bun to be bonded to Willow? That's the only way I can think of that she could stay here and not be alone.

I don't know what I want people to say, I guess I just need some thoughts and advice please.

I am so sorry you lost Simon. :cry:

I really don't know what to suggest. Willow will be grieving for now I would leave any decisions for a week. She could change over the coming days and weeks. My girl really retreated so I knew I had to get her a companion, but then I only have the 2 bunnies.

I hope you work something out.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry about Simon.

I have had three exceptionally nervous, petrified rabbits move into the living room as singles, and the change in them over a few months is amazing. I wonder if that might be a good place to start? For now move her into a sociable part of the house and then gradually watch as she comes out of her shell.

I believe some rescues do do permanent fosters, but I know Wilson the Great was looking for one and really struggling.

Can I ask why you can't bond her with any of your others?

I'm so sorry about Simon. i'm afraid I don't know about the fostering situation, I would imagine it would be difficult though as you wouldn't want to split the bond.

She's been a bit of a problem to bond in the past. Not with Simon though. I have a group of 4, two of them I tried to bond with Willow and Simon in the past and she took a real dislike to one of them. I had no choice but to split them in the end.

I also have a pair, the male is a true nightmare with other rabbits. Janice managed to bond him for me but he came very close to having to be a single rabbit.

She's not really a problem bunny, she's just a bit too bossy during bondings. Simon didn't give her any choice, he humped her into submission :)

Back