• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit escaping from a metal run

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout
I looked out the window to find my Snowball happily laying on the grass.

When I went to grab her she ran behind the garage but came out again after about 10 mins managed to catch her and put her in her hutch whilst I inspected the run. All I could find was a few of the metal prongs had come away (not completely of, but you could push them to one side)

How much gap does a dwarf lop need to get though? are they like cats and get fit through the smallest gap?

I have now repaired the metal prongs but will have to keep an eye on her.

I guess it depends how big the gap they could make was? My bun can squeeze through small gaps that I think he couldn't possibly be able to get through! But he does surprise me! He has also managed a few times to unbolt his pen and let himself out :roll: but fortunately it is indoors!

They only need a reall small space to hop through. Their head, shoulders (normally the stopping point) and hips need to get through, but they only need two inches or so, depending on the size of the bunny.

I had an 8 week old baby in a dog crate and it quite easily slid through the gaps :roll: :lol: And Flash once crawled under a gap under the gate which was tiny, so I wouldn't doubt them! :lol:

I bought a large metal run on ebay and was sat in my dining room looking out of the window and saw my bunny snow running loose around the garden
I couldnt work out how he got out but hubby saw that there was a small cat flap sized hole on one side as though the run should attatch itself to a chicken run :oops::oops:Anyway I did email the seller and told him incase any more bunnies got loose :evil:

The cat flippy bits were secure. I have cable tied the bits that were loose and moved their small hutch infront of it. So will have to keep an eye on her tomorrow.

If its one of those ones with the little flaps on the side, my lops simply lift it up with their noses while one of them wiggles out underneath! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen them do it!

about 2-3 inches for a smallish rabbit!!!

(and they can jump 3ft at least - 4 ft for the more athletic)

5ft for the determined :lol:

Neighbours rabbit isn't even trained to jump at it regularly launches itself over my a 5ft fence :? :lol:

My Poppy and charlie work as a team. If it is one of those pen type runs with the metal rods which hold them together, Poppy will lift the corner of one of the panels up and Charlie slips through :roll: every time. I swear I see them plotting this.

Back