• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Failed injection

Kipper

Mama Doe
I feel really rubbish at the moment. Just tried giving Pipkin her evening injection & everything was going well, she'd allowed me to pick her up without having to chase her round the living room & she'd chosed her fenugreek out of the bag, needle went in ok (or so I thought) then I noticed the Depocillin running off her fur :(
It stinks, I hurriedly washed it off her as best as I could but now Im worried that either her or her husbun will get ill if they wash her fur. I cant give her another injection as I have no idea how much if any actually got inside her. She meanwhile seems totally unperturbed. I hope missing one injection isnt going to make her ill again. Its only been 4 months since her last operation :(

What you probably did was go through the scruff and out the other side. I've done it a few times. Try and grab the scruff further down and do the injection a bit lower. I always give Grim another injection if I mess it up this way because I think it all comes out, but I can't say for you. When is she due her next one?

Don't panic, we all do it. I'm sure if you wipe it off with a damp cloth you will get enough off and they'll be fine.

Thankfully I only have to do it once a night. Wouldnt i have felt it or heard the skin pop if I'd pushed the needle in too far? Daren't give her another one in case i overdose her

Thankfully I only have to do it once a night. Wouldnt i have felt it or heard the skin pop if I'd pushed the needle in too far? Daren't give her another one in case i overdose her

not nesercerally (sp?! sorry) when we were giving Mae subq fluids we were forever going through the other side of her scruff without realising

not nesercerally (sp?! sorry) when we were giving Mae subq fluids we were forever going through the other side of her scruff without realising

Oh I thought I would :(
I seem to have a problem finding her scruff, I mean I know where it should be it just seems like she doesnt have one, thats why I try to get her relaxed before I inject, if shes nervous or tense her skin seems to shrink

I do Grim's on the floor. I stroke him until he's really relaxed and then I used to get someone else to keep on stroking his head and cheeks while I did the injection. I always try and get a big old handful of scruff. :lol:
Now he's so used to it I can stroke him and then do the injection without anyone helping.

My partners a bit scared of Pip as she used to be a biter, think it was because of her rough start in life (she & her litter mates were abandoned beside a road). I also had to train her to accept being picked up. So glad I took the time to do that otherwise life would have been very diffcult (& painful for me) now
I find the fenugreek does the trick normally she justs sits there munching while I get on with it.

I did that when I was injecting Billy. I washed it off but I was worried about him or his partner licking it. They were both fine :) I gave him another injection, as it looked like all of it came out the other side.

The vets make it look so easy, I got stressed when I had to give Lil her jabs which stressed her.
I couldn't grab enough scruff as I didn't want to hurt her and then I kept on either not going far enough in with the needle or coming out the other side.
I hated doing it.

Back