• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Hazel!!

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
Went out to the bunnies this morning and there was Hazel and Jassys fur lying around in Jake and Jassys side of the run. Hazel had obviously got in with J&J in the night - and got out again thankfully. Why would she try and get in with them? She wouldnt come out of her hutch though - even when I put her bowl down to feed her and ususally shes jumping round my feet waiting to be fed. I think she was freaked out by the fireworks last night aswell. When I went out to check on them after the fireworks had finished she was hiding away in the hutch and wouldnt come out.
I really felt like seperating her from the other two as she dosnt seem to want to be close to them anymore. Dont know wether to take the hutch out - she seems to be getting more comfort from the hutch that the other two.
She has hurt her foot though so I shall have to take her up to the vet in the morning and get her checked out.
I feel as though I havnt done very well by her at the moment and wonder if I should have left her in that 3ft hutch on her own with her previous owners.
My instinct at the moment is to put her in her own run away from the other two and when the time is right get her her own husbun.
I leave one of the hutch doors open so she can come and go as she likes and I think she must have climbed up on the door and onto the dividing fence panel. I've closed that door now and opened the other one and put another taller panel there. Its becoming abit like fort knox in there!! :(

I'm sorry this happened. I don't know how high the fence is, but it is recommended that if you're dividing a space, a height of at least 4 and a half foot should be used, but preferably more.

I would suspect, as you said, the fireworks freaked her out and she panicked.

You will need to check her all over for wounds (blowing in the fur can be good for this as can running your hands over her).

Is she eating, drinking, pooing and weeing? If she has hurt her leg then really she needs some pain relief today and she also needs it checked to ensure it's not broken. If you don't have Metacam at home and instructions on when and how to use it, then I personally would take her to the emergency vets for some pain relief, at the very least.

If she has hurt her leg then she needs to be confined and immobilised to make sure she doesn't exaccerbate it further.

No it is more of a flesh wound. She did it first time last week when they fought. It looked like a graze where the fur had come off on one of her toes. It looks abit worse now and she keeps licking it. I am worried it'll get infected. I've checked Jassy over and shes fine. I'm worried about upsetting hazel even more so I've only given her a quick check and she seems fine besides the sore toe. I gave her loads of head strokes this morning which she loved and seemed to relax abit.
She dosnt seem to want to come out of her hutch to eat so I am putting all her food in with her. She usually uses the litter tray outside of the hutch but she has been weeing and pooing in the hutch. So it seems like she just dosnt want to leave the hutch at the moment. Hopefully she'll calm down abit. I dont really want to force her to come out until she feels ready.
I think I've got some metacam Good idea. Might make her feel more comfortable. Thank you.

Please make sure that you only use the Metacsm under vets advice :)

Be very vigilant about her intake and output just to make sure she is doing all she should.

Poor girlie :( Bad night for her.

Its okay I havnt given her any metacam yet. Shes eating and drinking as normal - just dosnt want to come out of her hutch even though the door is left open. Hopefully no more fireworks will go off and she'll get her confidence back. :)

We've had more fireworks this evening and I went and sat with them and they seemed okay. I managed to tempt Hazel out of the hutch with some cabbage but she is quite jumpy.
They were 2ft high panels there before which I know you are going to say were not high enough but I have been using them for a few weeks in the garden and then when they were in the house I made them into a pen and they never even attempted to climb out. Well, they used to put there paws up and pear over but that was it. I think she climbed up on the rabbit hutch door and up onto the fence and over. Anyway I've attached more panels -4ft ish -cant find my tape measure. I cant actually get to J&J without untying panels so its not really an ideal set up now. They cant really stay like that as I am bound to trip over something!!

Well done for adjusting it :) Maybe with a bit more time you can come up with maybe a way to make a 'gate' with the second level of panels.

Your bunnies are FAR less adventurous than mine :lol: I reckon all of mine would be over the 2ft, and I have some others (mainly my loppy trio :roll:) who get over 4ft, and Wish was even so determined, but her legs wouldn't ket her, she climbed it!

I'm glad they seem to be comfortable :)

What a good idea to make a gate out of the panels!! :D Wish I could clear all the other halfs stuff out of the summer house and then I could really go to town and build some proper pens!! :lol: I did suggest to him once that instead of buying a bike shed to put the bikes in we bought a bigger shed for all his stuff and let me have the summer house for my 'hobbies' but oh no.
Even though Hazel now prefers to sit in her hutch and not next to the others by the fence. Do you still think she is getting comfort from them? She wont even go near Jassy even though Jassy had her nose through the fence trying to sniff her.

Back