• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Two Girls? UD p16 Pic Added!

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have two females together, bonded as adults? :wave: I'm wondering how common it is.

So I have my female, Barley and foster bun Sophie, both recently bereaved. Am I mad to even contemplate bonding them? Does girl-girl ever work?

They're quite different characters. Barley is young and energetic, Sophie is old and calm. But then Barley's partner Blair was old and calm and they had a great bond.

My feeling is that it's worth a try. But I might not be thinking straight right now! What do people think? Should I try it?

Last edited:
I've recently found myself with two broken bonds, resulting in two single females and have been wondering the same thing.

I don't think you would be mad. Gender is much less of an issue than the personality of the bunnies are.

I bonded Summer when she was an old lady (and had never even met another rabbit) with Tilly who was very sick (and at least middle aged but maybe older) and their bond was one of the strongest I've had the pleasure of witnessing. They got so, so much from each other :D So yes, definitely doable if the personalities allow.

Summer and Tilly :D Gosh I miss these girls

20090429_22.jpg

20090425_174.jpg

20090425_167.jpg

20090425_95.jpg

20090425_94.jpg

20090202_59-1.jpg

056.jpg

FosterTrio177.jpg

Plenty more if you want to see them :lol: they were just best pals :love:

I don't think you would be mad. Gender is much less of an issue than the personality of the bunnies are.

I bonded Summer when she was an old lady (and had never even met another rabbit) with Tilly who was very sick (and at least middle aged but maybe older) and their bond was one of the strongest I've had the pleasure of witnessing. They got so, so much from each other :D So yes, definitely doable if the personalities allow.

I was hoping you'd reply! :) That's very reassuring, thank you. That video is super cute! :love: Summer and Tilly look very loved up! :love:

Sophie has perked up a little since I opened the door so she can see the other buns. :) Barley and Sophie usually ignore each other when they meet through the bars, which I think is a good sign. Barley has tried to attack the male buns before, so perhaps a female might work.

As long as both have been spayed for at least a couple of months, it's probably worth trying. Lou and I bonded a pair of unrelated adult females for someone, there was an awful lot of intervention needed at first (we were literally holding our hands over the bonding pen and grabbing one each every time they headed towards each other ears down, tails up), but over the course of the day, things slowly settled and there was even a teeny grooming on the same day. It took a good few weeks of keeping an eye on them before they fully settled but they are now very good pals with a very strong bond :)

Thank you Santa and Tinsel, that's good to know.

Both girls have been spayed for years. I'll be extra vigilant about fights, but I'll try not to give up at the first sign of trouble! I'm worried Barley might attack Sophie, I don't think Sophie has it in her to be aggressive. I might be surprised though!

I've had three pairs of bonded girls before, but two were sisters and the other pair were put together when they were young. I've always gone for the easy girl-boy bondings, so this is out of my comfort zone!

I've asked Gwen from Bunny Burrows (the rescue I foster Sophie for) and she agrees it's worth a try. :) Can't wait to get cracking now! :)

id love to bond lily and phoebe...hopefully with merlin too..but also try bonding phoebe to the frenchies...she knows how to overcome bluebell with no biting or digging etc....

all 3 of my does are very territorial.....and lilys an older bun only speyed a shortwile b4 i got her a few months back..phoebe was speyed bout 6 months..shes finished growing now and is a big dwarf lop.

being related has nothing to do with it..buns persona is the guide;)

Conti - Fudge. My cousin's bun - lost her partner. Was always a bit nippy, but turned aggressive when alone.
Tried her with 2 single males. Not a positive reaction:shock: Tried her with:

Mishka -largish lionhead X foster from Jill's with aggression issues. She had been bonded with a male but turned on him after a couple of weeks.

She's never been aggressive with me whatsoever & her & Fudge bonded immediately:D

I also have the group - this contains Sugar, Polly, Rosie - all unrelated spayed females, Paige, unrelated unspayed female - will be spayed when it's warmer or earlier if issues occur - plus Flint & Smirnoff, two unrelated neutered boys

Thanks for the positive experiences :)

Barley and Sophie have been together since 11am Thursday, and right now, for the first time we have snuggling! :D YEEEYYYYYYYY! :D

I didn't want to say anything earlier to jinx it! :oops: It's looking good! Foster bun Sophie is joining the family! :D

More good news! My vet has just phoned to say that any future bills for the foster buns will have a 10% discount! :D I always ask when I take them in, but the people on reception say it's up to the senior partners. I guess they've had a discussion about it! They didn't have to do that, it's so lovely of them! :love:

I've got hundreds of bonding photos to go through :oops: but here's a sneak preview of my lovely ladies! :love:

BandS1b.jpg

This was from the 'bathroom stage', where they spent the first 48 hours. They're now on stage 2, the 'sun room' stage. I was worried about the temperature in the house, so when I was sure they wouldn't kill each other I moved them to the sun room. It's a better temperature for them, but I can't keep such a close eye on them.

Hopefully the new shed will arrive soon! it was meant to be here on Friday, but the truck broke down or something :evil: Then they'll have their own brand new home. :love:

Oh my goodness, Sophie is the female version of my Max! :shock:

They look very comfortable with eachother already :D:D:D:love::love::love:

Oh yeah! :shock: I'd never noticed that before! They could be twins!

They're learning to love each other. No aggression. Sophie was scared of Barley at first, but she's learning to trust her. Barley really wants Sophie to groom her, but Sophie isn't getting it. I tried banana on their heads but it just made a mess! :lol:

Oh yeah! :shock: I'd never noticed that before! They could be twins!

They're learning to love each other. No aggression. Sophie was scared of Barley at first, but she's learning to trust her. Barley really wants Sophie to groom her, but Sophie isn't getting it. I tried banana on their heads but it just made a mess! :lol:

:lol:

It might take a while for them to start grooming eachother. Timmy has always groomed Mimi, but it took her about 6 months before she decided to reciprocate :roll:
Max grooms Charlotte all the time, but Charlotte has never even attempted to groom him :shock: Its strange because hes definatly the dominant :?

Back