• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The minimum hutch size for three rabbits ?

Is the hutch permanently attached to a weather proofed run?

If so, then you just need something where they can all lie together and all lie apart as well as all be able to stretch out comfortably.

If it's not attached to a run then it need to be much bigger because they will need space to run around as well. Size wise though, it depends on the rabbits., a trio of nethies would be different from a trio of french lops, for example.

Same rules as normal though, the bigger the better :)

I would say 6ft x 2ft hutch with a 6ft x 4ft/6ft/8ft run maybe? It depends on the size of the rabbits really.

6ft x 4ft for three nethies
6ft x 6ft for small rabbits (e.g mini rex)
6ft x 8ft for medium size rabbits (e.g lop)

Last edited:
I'd say just up the hutch or run a few ft if you can't have a shed, I have a trio and mine don't really get in each others way so it's not like they couldn't run about in a 6ft, I'd just make it a bit bigger

I also think it depends on the size, but I don't understand, that people recommend a 6ft x 2ft hutch with a 6ft x 4ft run for 2 rabbits, but the same size for 3? Is that right?
I think 3 rabbits can lay down together as well as be seperate in a 6ft x 2ft hutch, and I personally wouldn't have a problem with keeping 3 rabbits in a hutch that size, as long as they weren't really big rabbits.

my local rspca recommends a 6x2 hutch with a 6x6 run for 2 small-medium sized rabbits, so logically I would say you'd need at least a 6x8 run.
A 6x2 hutch would probably be ok, so long as the bedroom section is large enough for all 3 rabbits?

If you're planning on adopting from a rescue you should probably get in touch with them and see what they actually need you to have.

I also think it depends on the size, but I don't understand, that people recommend a 6ft x 2ft hutch with a 6ft x 4ft run for 2 rabbits, but the same size for 3? Is that right?
I think 3 rabbits can lay down together as well as be seperate in a 6ft x 2ft hutch, and I personally wouldn't have a problem with keeping 3 rabbits in a hutch that size, as long as they weren't really big rabbits.

I think it should be a bit bigger than the reccomendation for two but like I said I went from a pair to a trio and it's not like the extra rabbit takes up all the 'running' space :)

Back