• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giant French lop HELP please

mue

New Kit
Last November I adopted a rabbit named Truffles from our local pets at home. I did this because I wanted to give her a chance of a home life. She had dental problems. After being told that her teeth would have to be clipped regularly I did not want to put Truffles through this as it is not a nice experience. She had an x ray which showed that one of the teeth had not come through. The rest of the teeth were removed. I gave her antibiotics (baytril) for 2 weeks afterwards. But her eye began to water. After lots of visits to the vets an operation was needed. They did another x-ray and operated, they went in through the side of her face and removed the very large tooth which was growing round in a circle. I continued with the antibiotics. As there was a small lump. I was told to stop the antibiotics and see how she went for two weeks. A huge swelling has appeared like a lump, her tear duct is blocked again. I have started the antibiotics again. She is eating and running around as normal very active and playful. But the lump is there and also so is the gue coming from her blocked tear ducet which i am cleaning and applying pertrolum jelly. PLEASE I really need someones help. She is a lovely rabbit. Anyone experienced these problems.

She is a house rabbit with free run of the house and is litter trained. Allowed into the garden whenever she likes. Feed on exel food, hay and the veg which she eats from the garden.:wave: We have two other rabbits which get on well together.

She's so lucky to have found someone who can give her the chance she needs, well done you. And welcome to the site :)

Could she see a vet today?

If she was mine I would definitely be giving her pain relief today (under my vets advice) because a swelling like that will hurt.

I think I would also be discussing with the vet about different antibiotics.

Having you tried bathing her eye, with something like water that has been boiled and then cooled right down? I would wonder if the vaseline would make it more inclined to clog, depending on where you are putting it?

How confident are you with your vet? Are you in the UK?

We have a vet. And are following her advice. Next appointment in 1 weeks time. The eye is clear and does not need bathing. It is the discharge from the eye. She does not appear in pain. I no when she is ill and in pain because she is off her food and lies in the corner. At the moment giving antibiotics as prescribed but really need to hear if anyone else has gone through this as well. I really don't want her to have another operation as it seems to be looking very probable at the moment. It took along time for her to recover from the last one as it was a major operation.

We are applying vaseline to the surrounding area to ease the mess of the puss on her fur which is loads.

I will not give up on Truffles as she is part of our family but would really like to hear from anyone who has gone through something similar. Just so I have an idea of what is involved.

Yes in the uk, and doing everything possible with the vet. Seeing the same one all time. She has even sent the x rays to experts in this field for advice.

I hope this breeder is not breeding from her parents.

It sounds like it could be an abscess. They usually need to be removed surgically in rabbits. I would also ask your vet about stronger antibiotics, something like penicillin injections. The runny eye could be to do with the molar roots growing too much which causes the eye to get blocked. There's not much that can be done for this other than pain relief and antibiotics if the eye gets infected.

You sound like you're doing a great job so far. Truffles is a lucky bun to have ended up with you.

Welcome to the forum :wave::wave:

Sounds like you are doing a great job looking after her, well done for adopting her.

I don't know as much as many about dental problems with buns. We had a dutch bun as kids, but I wasn't rabbit savvy then and we used to trim his teeth as advised by the breeder when they got too long. We were very careful but in hindsight wish we did more, he was a gorgeous bun. Very friendly and lovely. Lived a long and happy life.

All the best and hope you get some good advice, can we see some pic?? :love:

I don't know about the tooth problem and abscess, but when my Billy had repeated tear duct infections he had his tear ducts flushed several times and had penicillin injections. Sending lots of vibes for Truffles xx

I totally agree with Jenova that different antibiotics are likely to be more effective and appropriate. Also, bearing in mind that rabbits hide their pain, and having recently had my own dental abscess and knowing the complete and utter misery and agony I was in, I would also being giving her a high level of pain relief is she were mine.

i really hope truffles pulls through all this as she is worth it , if your not happy , try and get a 2nd opinion . you sound like you love your bunnies as i do ..

good luck

Thank you all for your help. Truffles is running around the house looking for cuddles off us all. lol I will be phoning the vet tomorrow again.

my mad animal house

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0476.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

Truffles is the large chocolate one.

:love: Thank you :D your bunnies are beautiful (and your blue bunny looks sooooooooooooo cheeky!). Your chickens are gorgeous :D Bet they produce lovely eggs.

All my pets are rescued. The blue bunny was found wandering in next doors garden very thin. It came to me straight away. Advertised in our area but no one has come forward. It was a baby when we got it.

Back