• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Home

Stumpy

Alpha Buck
Hello everyone :wave:

we will be moving shortly and where we are moving to has a bigger garden so i was out looking for a new hutch for Whisky. i came past this one which i love but wanted to know what you think off it and also how would i insulate this during the winter so she dose not get cold?

Thanks x

KGrHqMOKjUE4fHHFWBOJZlDg0_3.jpg

To be honest I think for the price you pay for this you would be better of with a shed or Wendy house. Chicken coops often don't offer enough covered space.

The very first hutch we got with that type of roof leaked and the felt came off within a year.

i have had a look but i cant afford a shed or anything like that. this hutch is a good price and i really liked it x

i have a chicken coup which hubbie has adapted it,so all the botton open bit is covered,hes also put insulation all the way round it,even though i love it,its a bit of a pain to clear the bottom bit out but i manage

i have had a look but i cant afford a shed or anything like that. this hutch is a good price and i really liked it x

How much was this coop thing then, as often, they are MUCH more expensive than the shed idea?

How big is it, and would you be attaching it to something else? It doesnt look big enough to me, but its hard to tell from pictures. I think the rwa minimum is 44sqft.

You can get sheds for more or less than that :)

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Timber-Garden-Sheds

Just as an example :)

thank you for your help... i dont think my dad will let me put up a shed and then try to attach a run to it as that would take up a lot of space. i was looking on ebay for a new hutch for Whisky. i would like her to have something with the run underneath so during the day she could run down there and have a play x

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?318828-Bunny-Gnawing

there is a pic in here off what she has at the momnet. im not sure how big the other one is id have to look but i know its bigger then what she currently has x

Hmm youre right, your setup could do with expanding. But for the money, I mean the new one doesnt look much bigger, the hutch bit doesnt look bigger than 4ft, so in all its maybe an extra 8sqft? You'd probably be better off getting her a big size run to attach to what you've already got.

Last edited:
can you give me some pic for ideas what i should be looking for in Whisky's new hutch x

This should give you an idea: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing

Ideally you would want a 6x2ft hutch with an 8x4 (or bigger) run attached which gives a minimum of 44sqft, some people have 6x6ft runs as they are easier to attach to a 6ft hutch which gives 48sqft. But I'm sure if you add a big enough run to your hutch so that the total of the hutch + run is 44sqft that would be fine, although you may want to put some cover from rain (like plastic/tarpaulin on top) so she still has a big dry area.

Last edited:
This should give you an idea: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing

Ideally you would want a 6x2ft hutch with an 8x4 (or bigger) run attached which gives a minimum of 44sqft, some people have 6x6ft runs as they are easier to attach to a 6ft hutch which gives 48sqft. But I'm sure if you add a big enough run to your hutch so that the total of the hutch + run is 44sqft that would be fine, although you may want to put some cover from rain (like plastic/tarpaulin on top) so she still has a big dry area.

see now im comfused on how big it should really be coz looking at this some are loads bigger then what i have some are about the same size and some look smaller x

see now im comfused on how big it should really be coz looking at this some are loads bigger then what i have some are about the same size and some look smaller x

Stick to the reccommended rwaf sizes or bigger and you know it will be a good size: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

People that may seem to have a smaller setup may have the part pictured as part of a bigger setup, or have a separate run or exercise area.

Can you give me an example of which ones you think look smaller?

The minimum you would need would be a 5ft double hutch or a 6ft single. A good hutch maker is happy hutch.

ETA: I wouldnt be able to keep rabbits if i had the minimum RWAF size, as my parents wouldnt let me as it would take up so much space! I have a 6ft and 6ft x 4ft run and i find it a perfect size for my 2 rabbits :)

What about instead of spending lots of money on a large hutch, you could get a smaller hutch and join it to your existing hutch, then your rabbit will have lots of space, and it would be cheaper. :wave:

Last edited:
Back