• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit with dental disease

elaine

Mama Doe
I am finding at the moment that some shelters are rehoming rabbits near me and not telling new owners that they have teeth issues and then 6-8 wks later they are finding out that they are suddenlly stuck with ongoing vet bills. Then they are in a position of not wanting the rabbit due to the teeth but the original rescue will not take back, or help with the bills.

Does anyone else have the same problems. Do people inform the new owners about any teeth issues??

This is not at anyone on this forum

We always inform the new owners- that's only fair on the rabbit (you can find my foster Butterfly in the rescue section and it clearly states about his teeth), but, as you know, 6-8 weeks can be enough for probems to develop that weren't there before, especially if the diet is not quite right for that bunny, or the teeth were not checked when adopted out, so it may not be something the rescue has deliberately done. Is there evidence it's being done deliberately?

It does sound like maybe some procedures need to change though, like an oral exam on adoption so that both the rescue and the adopter know the condition of the teeth. Also, more education in diet and long term health problems is probably necessary.

Are they desperate to get the rabbits out no matter what?

Last edited:
they deffinately don't do any health checks for rabbits as theyy have been known to rehome cats that are not neutered and say they are the same with dogs, they charge as well for teh rabbits going in and not a small amount. Once the weather is bad they won't do rabbits and if they have any they will try to get them to me via people

Gee, They sound swell. I would guess you're also picking up the pieces from what they are doing?

Sorry to hear that Elaine.

We always healthcheck and dental check and inform of any issues. We also make sure all our animals are both neutered and fully vaccinated.

It's sad to hear that they are doing this. I feel for the bunnies.

Back