• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Off to buy insulation for the shed, but where to go Screwfix/B&Q/Wickes??

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
We have a 6x4 shed and I thought my bunnies were lucky till I joined this forum, now my shed looks positively poor off!

Ive got a max/min therometer for the shed. Usually when the weather is really bad I bring the buns in and still will do but if I insulate the shed then they can stay out longer and I am sure will be happier.

I am thinking the foil insulation that looks like a roll of wallpaper but wondered if the insulation board stuff was better at insulating. Then put plywood sheeting over.

My bunnies are free range all day so the shed door is either wide open or if the weather is bad its propped open just wide enough to get in and out but even with a blind on the inside of the door sometimes the shed floor is wet and wet lino is like a skating rink! So I havent mentioned to my hubby yet as I have had 'that look' when I suggested he spent his weekend insulating a rabbit shed, but, I think we need a porch on the front of the shed.

They have a big cat box to snuggle in but I am now watching little inappropriate hutches just for sleeping in put inside the shed with the doors removed. I had a big argos wooden toy box with a hole in the end for my previous bunnies so I might do that again.

My previous bunnies were both over 4k each and my new ones are half that, do I need to bring them in sooner cos they are smaller?

Thank you.:)

I used large polystyrene sheets from Wickes, then boarded over with thin ply. Really easy to handle and cut.

A neighbour told me that B&Q have rolls of loft insulation for £5 at the moment. It would also need to be boarded over.

Ply is much cheaper from woodyards than standard DIY places. They usually deliver. Probably still cheaper, even if you have to pay for delivery.

Just to add, the bunnies will be fine outside over winter if they have lived outside until now, as they will have a full winter coat. As long as they have somewhere warn and dry - a large box , old hutch etc off the floor and stuffed with hay / straw is ideal. You could use a cat flap (bought or home-made) to provide access to the shed and a secure run (keep safe from hungry foxes, etc) and leave the door closed to keep the rain out of the shed. Porches are brilliant to stop you being dripped on when you are doing the bunnies.

Ive got a max/min therometer for the shed. Usually when the weather is really bad I bring the buns in and still will do but if I insulate the shed then they can stay out longer and I am sure will be happier.

It's a wonderful idea insulating your shed - my bunny sheds are all insulated with B&Q polystyrene sheeting and heated with tubular greenhouse heaters. Just a word of warning about bringing your bunnies in during cold weather. If you bring them indoors then they must stay indoors until Spring. Sudden changes in temperature will affect their respiratory system and cause possible problems. They will be absolutely fine outside all winter once their thick coats have grown. I think we insulate and heat their sheds for our own benefit rather than theirs ;):lol::lol:.

Ended up at B&Q. We got what looked like silver wallpaper with polystyrene on the back, we have nailed it all the way round the shed, only the roof left to do but it was too dark.

We looked at all the different plywoods etc then we spotted some tongue n groove loft planks, only £6.50 a pack.

So we how have everything up, the wood goes a good 4ft high but I am going to go back for a couple more packs cos it looks a bit messy half and half.

Twinkle was fascinated throughout, shes so nosey. Her hubby comes next week but hes been kept inside for few weeks so I am hoping he quickly aquires a winter coat.

Our old bunnies came in last winter for a week when we had all that heavy snow. Is there a point when I should bring them in for example if its minus 5 overnight? or am I just being soft? My hope is that they can sleep out all winter now we have done the shed.

Thank you for your responses on this, its good to know theres someone out there with the answer when I have a blonde moment.

Our old bunnies came in last winter for a week when we had all that heavy snow. Is there a point when I should bring them in for example if its minus 5 overnight? or am I just being soft? My hope is that they can sleep out all winter now we have done the shed.

Although I fully understand your reasons, bringing them in for a week really isn't a good idea, as stated above. They need to be either in all winter or out all winter. Chopping and changing from a very warm to a very cold environment is not good for their respiratory systems. They should be fine outside all winter in an insulated shed but if you're going to worry about the oldies (and I fully understand this as I would worry too), then bring them indoors until next Spring.

Back