• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So is anyones rabbit actually afraid of fireworks???

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
I know there is a lot of discussion and advice about this. . saying that buns should be covered or even brought in - but with domestic firework whizz bangs going on all around us, and a HUGE public firework display easily heard/visible from here (the official one in town) not a single one of our (31) rabbits was the slightest concerned . . they all chose to sit out in their runs staring up into the sky completely unconcerned . .

even Gooseberry who is petrified of his own shadow . . sat and watched the fireworks . .

I checked the uppy eared ones as well (in case the lops were all deaf) and they were not concerned either.

No real concern here. There was a little bit of thumping sometime after the fireworks from the indoor bunnies. The outdoor buns were absolutely fine.

There was a massive firework display overhead and it was really loud. All the animals have coped very well.

Butterfly was anxious- he came over for reassurance and then was fine.

I wonder if for many (but not all) rabbits, those who feel generally safe and secure in their world and lives are less fussed than those who have had upheaval, are not treated well, etc (but please, I don't for one second mean anyone who has a scared rabbit is not looking after them, some, by nature, are just more 'flighty' and even the best care can't help them with that).

When I had bunnies, one was afraid and the other wasn't. The worry I had was more that anything would send them into stasis, so I worried that the shock would. No idea if it would have done or not, but I remember having them in the kitchen with the windows flung open and me freezing! :lol:

Butterfly was anxious- he came over for reassurance and then was fine.

I wonder if for many (but not all) rabbits, those who feel generally safe and secure in their world and lives are less fussed than those who have had upheaval, are not treated well, etc (but please, I don't for one second mean anyone who has a scared rabbit is not looking after them, some, by nature, are just more 'flighty' and even the best care can't help them with that).

Mmmm thats an interesting point - mine are positively dangerously curious and secure in their own world - so much so that they will sit one side of the fence whilst the neighbours gardener allows their large dog to roam next doors garden.

In fact the other night some of my buns just sat and watched calmly with complete disinterest as a fox ran around our lawn :shock::shock: and I did my nut!!!!

Mine have been fine apart from when someone had several going off at once over the road, they were those crackly ones and then both the lions hid under the table but that's all.

Nope, none of mine are at all bothered. I thought Sapphire and JB would be scared as they're uppy eared bunnies but they are absolutely fine too. The dogs on the other hand have been so scared and clingy all evening!

Our Jojo is beyond terrified, but then she genuinely is scared of her own shadow :( She is almost 100% blind with neurological problems but has extremely acute hearing. She suffers from severe fear aggression on a good day.

we also had 2 other nervy bunnies that haven't coped so well, one of which has a heart problem so the sooner they are all over the better

Our Jojo is beyond terrified, but then she genuinely is scared of her own shadow :( She is almost 100% blind with neurological problems but has extremely acute hearing. She suffers from severe fear aggression on a good day.

we also had 2 other nervy bunnies that haven't coped so well, one of which has a heart problem so the sooner they are all over the better

gosh - I am really sorry - hope they will be over soon for you. They are all over here now

Mine are both fine, but I do cover their hutch once it gets dark to help a bit with the fireworks. But they seem fine, even when the noise is ear-splitting to me. :evil: My rabbits will run at cats and will just watch foxes, so are quite easy-going in that respect.

Mine seem to have been ok, I wrapped them up in their hutch cover at about 6pm to try and lessen noise/smells etc but I have checked on them a few times and they have been sat our on the landing happy enough :) we had a large display at the local park which is about 5 mins away but they don't seemed too bothered :)

Just took out their bedtime treat and as I was sat with them a few real big ones went off and they didn't even look up from their Apple leaves!!

only one of my 7 is scred of them, little albert, he shivers and thumps and growl at them! something he never normally does, well only growls when food is about!

he ears go back and he is really frightened and jumpy :(

Dash got a little scared but a nice a little nose rub and groom , he was happy for the rest of the night.

les

no mine were fine during a big display, they all stayed in the run, 2 were even flopped out.

Mittens was funny today though - im not sure if that was firework related or not but at the time they all seemed fine. I didnt do anything any differently i.e covering them up or putting ear muffs on :lol:

I have to say I've never seen any of mine , past or present, show any signs of being frightened.....they just sit there munching hay as usual :?

All mine are fine, and I've had rory and baby right up to the window to watch them because they're sharing a hutch for the first time today, they occasionally look up when one goes off (And there's been a huge display opposite and some big ones in gardens) but they're fine. The neighbours dogs are going mental on the other hand.

No frightened buns here. I've kept the covers on the runs all day though. The cats have been jumping at the big bangs, but only one hid under the sofa.

I've never had a bun afraid of them, maybe because they are out all the time, they are used to loud noises (thunder etc). As long as they have somewhere dark they can hide if they want to, then I think they are fine.

Only dogs I have had problems with.

How strange that rabbits ('prey animals') appear to be less frightened than peoples cats and dogs :?

Back