• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Funny grunting noises when eating

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Nutmeg has started making a funny grunting noise when she's eating. She's never done this before, but I noticed it a little last night and even more today.

I know some bunnies do this when they are just enjoying the food, but could it be anything else? I'm a bit concerned as I've never heard her make this noise before. She's just over a year old now and I've had her since she was 4 weeks old (her mummy died which is why she came to me so young).

She is acting perfectly normally. No discharge or wetness around her nose. When she eats she doesn't look to be struggling and is eating perfectly normally. Her breathing is quiet when she's not eating, it's only when she's munching that I hear the noise. It was quite loud this evening.

I'm a worrier, so will more than likely take her to the vet next week just to get her checked over, but wondered if anyone had any ideas in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

Tracy xx

Maybe her teeth are giving her pain? I don't know. My newly adopted New Zealand is going for a check up on Tuesday ; he also makes the occasional grunting noise, but I think that's just him. :D

I would suggest a Vet check if it continues. The problem can occur a few days before more obvious URTI symptoms develop. It can also occur when tooth root elongation is an issue xx

Back