• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay questions

Took my little Gimli for his vets trip today and she said she would double check that he is a boy for us when she looked and smiled and said I think he's a little girl and this is the second time she has said this and she is now pretty certain that Gimli is.

My dad asked when she will need a spay and the vet said in a few months time and then added "of course it is very risky and she might not pull through" my mum and dad do not think I should get her spayed but I think she should be even though I am really scared just wondering if any Nethie mummys or daddys would give me any advice ? :) Or any non-nethie owners got any either

PS: sorry for the long story
PPS: She is 4months old now

I would take her to another Vet as it is of concern that the Vet who saw her today made such a statement. My Vet seldom loses a Doe during a routine spay and she operates on THOUSANDS of Rabbits. Any loses have been proven to have underlying health problems. Maybe the Vet you saw today is not very experienced in treating Rabbits ?

Whilst a spay is a bigger op' than a castrate and like ANY surgery there will be risks, a competent Rabbit Savvy Vet is unlikely to have a problem with safely carrying out the procedure :)

The vet has to warn about the risks because they need to you to be aware of them, and like with any operation on any animal (incluidng us) there ARE risks, but the better the vet, the lesser the risks (because you can't ever eliminate the risk).

If your vet is that scared then I would be thinking another vet is in order or, at the very least, asking how many rabbits they have spayed and how many they lost both under the GA and at post op complications.

Is there a specific reason it would be risky to spay your girlie? like is she in ill health or anything?

Took my little Gimli for his vets trip today and she said she would double check that he is a boy for us when she looked and smiled and said I think he's a little girl and this is the second time she has said this and she is now pretty certain that Gimli is.

My dad asked when she will need a spay and the vet said in a few months time and then added "of course it is very risky and she might not pull through" my mum and dad do not think I should get her spayed but I think she should be even though I am really scared just wondering if any Nethie mummys or daddys would give me any advice ? :) Or any non-nethie owners got any either

PS: sorry for the long story
PPS: She is 4months old now

My first thought is that maybe you should look for a new vet. If they were experienced in doing rabbit spays then they would know that they are a relatively safe procedure made much safer with modern anaesthetics. Our vets advocate having rabbits spayed to prevent uterine cancer which kills about 80% of female rabbits by the age of four if they haven't been spayed. It also prevents unwanted behaviours like spraying urine and being aggressive. If you want your rabbit to have a friend then they both have to be neutered so that they can be paired more easily and obviously prevent pregnancy.

It might be an idea to post a thread in rabit chat asking for vets who are experienced with rabbits and go and see one of them for a second opinion.

Back