• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

small bald patch

victim

Young Bun
Hi havnt been here in a while :( hope all your buns are doing good.

anyway i promised an update on my bonding buns and here it is!
also i noticed the rabbits grooming a spot on my lop jess, i checked it and they have found a small bald spot about the size of the tip of a thumb. it had a small scab on it the other day, just on the back of the neck and now its healed and completely hairless, just now they have found another spot on the lower back, very flaky and a little redish and scabby. any ideas? i read a bit about bald spots but as usual the net had 50% its fine and 50% its bad!

here are the pics of my buns :) love em!!

^ from left to right here, Frank, Doe, Gingy and big fat Jess :)

i have over 1000 rabbit photos :shock: am i weird?:roll:

Spot the odd one out! :lol: Beautiufl bunnies.

Do you know what caused the bald patch? Is there any chasing and fur pulling?

Is she scratching more than normal?

Have you got her out and given her a good check over?

Has she had any vaccinations recently, especially the Cylap VHD vaccination?

i have over 1000 rabbit photos :shock: am i weird?:roll:

:lol: Nope, I have 25,000 + (can't remember the exact amount)

Spot the odd one out! :lol: Beautiufl bunnies.

Do you know what caused the bald patch? Is there any chasing and fur pulling?

Is she scratching more than normal?

Have you got her out and given her a good check over?

Has she had any vaccinations recently, especially the Cylap VHD vaccination?

:lol: Nope, I have 25,000 + (can't remember the exact amount)

lol Jess is a he! we named 'her' Jessy and about 3 weeks later realised she was a he! lol poor bun just dropped a Y and added an IE, Jessie!

and yea with Frank (our first bun) every now and then there is a little stand off but a few stomps and 5 mins of huffing and they are grooming each other lol weirdos. nothing too rough tho, mostly they all pick on poor wee Gingy lol hes the friendliest little animal i have ever met, loves licking and would stop doing anything for a pet lol

i thought maybe hair pulling too but after finding the other fresh scabby one i started to get a little worried. ive checked him all over for a good 10 mins this time, but its very hard to spot things with his hair, seems to be brown at the roots then a little white then brown again.

as for vacs hes due his Vhd and mixi in november (but i might wait till feb so i can get all 4 done at the same time) so no, no recent vacs.

and he had always been a bit of a scratcher so its hard to tell, ill keep my eye on him and note everything (lol bunny stalker style!)

tbh we havnt been spending alot of time with them this last month, we just bought our first house, a fixer-upper and are doing all the work ourselves. so the buns are in the kitchen alone from maybe 1am-7am for an hour then 8am-4pm then they get let out the back for a few hours then back in the house with us till bedtime. they are used to spending a good 15 hours a day between the 2 of us. maybe could this be some form of stress due to that? they never get locked up and have free run of the whole downstairs, lol kept them in a cage for like the first 2 weeks but i hated it as much as they did! so now i have the kitchen 100% bun-profed and they live there :)

Back